Technical Is it OK for me to trickle charge my battery please?

Currently reading:
Technical Is it OK for me to trickle charge my battery please?

With a battery in good condition you should be able to start it up every second/third day.

I had a Stilo 1.4 petrol that ate Battery's, solved this by putting a slightly large one on it 85ah, rather than the Fiat 75ah one (same size).

I used to start it every second/third day, when I got snowed in, let it run until the revs dropped (only ran it for about eight minutes) before I did this, it never started at all if left for a week - ten days.

The wife's Punto 1.2 petrol you could leave it for three weeks in the middle of winter (we used to go on holiday for three weeks at a time) it always started no problems.

It just wizzed for about ten seconds and blast back to life, it was a 2012 stop start model, and after about eight years (with the same battery we bought it new with, and sold it this February) all I did was charge it occasionally when it ran low. It was a Varta 65ah too.

If the battery charge isn't even lasting a week you need a new battery.
@RamesesPNiblik Check that (if you have Blue and me (B&M) that the blue tooth is working. If the B&M module has failed it leaves a drain on the battery which will have it flat inside 2-3 days if the car is not driven. Another symptom of B&M failure is a flashing odometer. The B&M unit is under the drivers seat (RHD) and must be disconnected there to eliminate the parasitic drain. There are lots of threads on here about this issue.

On the Tayna batteries website I typed in my licence plate number... I can't find the "Possible Marked Code(s)" from the Tayna website on my battery:
tanya.PNG

My battery:
mybattery.PNG

Unless it's the 27 at the end of the part number(?)

A modern battery only lasts about 5-7 years.
If you use the car every day then that can artificially make it look better than it is.

If the battery charge isn't even lasting a week you need a new battery.
Agreed, or something is draining it. If its 12 there is no point in monitoring it is dying. Buy a new one or you will break down and it might be somewhere dangerous like the middle of a busy junction. 12 years is a very very good life for a battery indeed. Check prices on the internet for a battery with a 4 year warramty. Print out the best prices and get one from Halfords ask for a price match they are good at honouring this.

Having reread all this and seen it’s only used once a week to go to Sainsbury’s, you’d almost be better of just taking a taxi… by the time you’ve paid insurance and road tax annually and factor in what will be a growing list of expenses owing to lack of use (seized brakes, cracked tyres, condensation in the oil, etc). Modern cars need to be used, frequently, to keep them truly happy.

You can trickle BUT few trickle chargers made for with AGM/EFM batteries ! If you can find a charger suitable then easy to exceed the 10 year life?

Having reread all this and seen it’s only used once a week to go to Sainsbury’s, you’d almost be better of just taking a taxi… by the time you’ve paid insurance and road tax annually and factor in what will be a growing list of expenses owing to lack of use (seized brakes, cracked tyres, condensation in the oil, etc). Modern cars need to be used, frequently, to keep them truly happy.

I've seriously considered flogging my Panda and joining a car club for the few occasions I need one—there's a car club car always parked just round the corner from me.

Back