New Feature iOS (iPhone/iPad) PWA (app) now available with notifications :)

Currently reading:
New Feature iOS (iPhone/iPad) PWA (app) now available with notifications :)

1684489629797.png

Yes guys, I know you've been waiting for ages but finally it's here. Whereas us Android gang had this from the start, Apple took a long time to integrate the same functionality into their OS - but that's besides the point, it's now here!

Instant notifications!

As long as you are running on iOS 16.4 or above you can now install the forum to your home screen and activate (instant) push notifications. This will make the forum work like all your usual apps, with alerts coming through as notifications to your lock screen in real time as they happen.

No need to set up email alerts anymore or miss out on any thread updates :)

Installation Intructions
Firstly, you'll need to load the forum up in Safari and then install it as an app. Simply click the button at the bottom in the hamburger menu, then follow along with the video (ignore the XenForo name - that's just the platform we use here - it will show as FIAT Forum for you guys).

1684490286733.png1684490443119.png

Once that is done, you'll see the forum icon on your home screen - so click that to open and you'll get a new pop-up at the bottom asking you for permission to enable push notifications.

1684490177431.png

Click the link (the blue text) and then on the next page enable.

(If this doesn't appear - go directly to the Account Preferences page)

1684490583002.png

Lastly, check that you're set to receive the notifications you are interested in - for the content ones I would set that as "Automatically watch"

1684490650093.png

But for all the rest, you can choose as you see fit :)

1684490694840.png

And there we have it, should be all gravy!

Let me know if there are any issues or that's not quite how it is done (I was using an emulator to get the screenshots) but hopefully that covered everything.

So has anyone had a chance to try it?
I followed the instructions and got as far as AppStore to be completely defeated at the last hurdle! Seems xenforo likes to go back to their website, three attempts and going in circles meant getting the daughter to attempt, only to be told ‘no results’…so at least she got a different result to me!

I followed the instructions and got as far as AppStore to be completely defeated at the last hurdle! Seems xenforo likes to go back to their website, three attempts and going in circles meant getting the daughter to attempt, only to be told ‘no results’…so at least she got a different result to me!
Oh no! That photo I used of the appstore is just a generic one, there's no need to use it (in fact you can't)

All you actually need to do is in Safari, bring up the menu, select "add to home screen" and confirm.

The forum icon should then be added and you can follow the rest of the instructions(setting up notifications)

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try and get hold of an iPhone to make a proper video.

Did you then enable notifications?

(Thinking about it, you might need to remove and re-add to the home screen to activate the new version, again sorry,I'm not sure)
Strangely I’ve started using Ecosia as a search engine (obviously on safari) if I use safari directly I get more adverts popping up or ‘drifting down’…I’ll try deleting FF from homescreen and ‘reinstalling’…will let you know after sheeps rounds!

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpeg
    IMG_3869.jpeg
    713.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Love
Reactions: ben
It works, getting notifications and banners, plus the link tab with number of notifications…it’s defaulting to safari rather than using Ecosia, but I can live with that

I don’t mind safari, it’s loaded with features…and everything is synced to iPad, Apple laptop etc so what I looked at on one is automatically the last relevant one on another (complete with history if I need to go back) what I don’t like is, that for anything that’s outside an app that uses a search engine you get google, eg translate, functionary, measurement conversion etc…even though safari is quite capable all by itself

Back