Technical Internal Heater Blower

Currently reading:
Technical Internal Heater Blower

Dyn

Hi there,

Perfect timing for the winter: the internal heater blower has decided to stop working!

Mega annoying because I can't heat up the car, and more importantly I can't properly defrost the windscreen. Just keeps freezing from the inside.

This happened a few weeks ago but it started working again randomly, but I can't hop around it this time because of winter!

I've checked the fuse, that's fine. Taken the 2-wire and 5-wire (I think) connectors in and out of their sockets under the passenger footwell. Did get slight activity once I did this then turned on the ignition, but died after.

Jiggled the 5-wire around a bit whilst it was plugged in and ignition was on, again, slight activity but none after that again.

Also worth noting this happens on heater settings 1-4, so even when it bypasses the resistor (setting 4).

Any guesses to what the problem is, and more importantly, how much this might be to get fixed?

'56 GP 1.2 Active if it's any help!

Cheers

Last edited:
Already gone through all the threads about them mate hence my limited-detailed diagnostic!

Only thing I didn't mention in the opening post was that the wires don't seem to be melted together, which seems to be a common thing.

I gave that a go as well. Tried giving it a good kicking / thumping whilst it was both off, ignition was on and then engine was on with no luck!

Sounds like there is but check there is power to the motor.

It is worth taking the motor off then giving the connectors a little twist to make the connector block fit on as tight as possible otherwise like T said new fan.

Mine was intermittent for a while last year, brushes gone,new motor needed.

There are at least two different kinds of motor,one with heater panel in it and two plugs one without and one plug ,if you have aircon it has heater panel,cost about £115,takes 15 mins to fit yourself,3 screws ,a couple of plugs.it 's just behind your glove box,you may need a torch to locate screws but it's easy enough to do.

Haven't got air con in mine! It's just got one big plug going to it with 2-wires (brown and orange from memory).

Was it awkward to fit (I know it was a bit awkward to check the connectors!)? Is it just a case of unscrewing the screws, sliding it out, sliding the new one back in and screwing it on?

Where did ya buy it from also? Straight from Fiat or somewhere like eBay?

Wouldn't mind fixing it myself if I could!

Last edited:
Just an update on this so the info is out there, I had the car into Fiat on Tuesday and it came back that it's the heaters wiring loom + resistor.

Unfortunatly they didn't have the bit in, so it's back in tomorrow to hopefully get fixed!

If anyone's fitted one of these before, any idea how long it should take for them to install? I have stay there as the garage is in a stupidily remote location so not sure if I should take my laptop for entertainment!

Back