Insurance for an old fart

Currently reading:
Insurance for an old fart

Punt9

Right i'm trying to get the above for an 06 1.9JTDM sporting and i think the quotes i'm getting are stupid.
In my 50s (shut it) with 10years nc's a good post code but 1 non fault claim 4 years ago and getting prices of £350.

Now i know a lot on here are many years younger and no doubt paying more a lot more but i feel at my age ect it should be a lot cheaper.

Plus why the the hell do you get penalised for a non fault, that's a p155 take :mad:

Right i'm trying to get the above for an 06 1.9JTDM sporting and i think the quotes i'm getting are stupid.
In my 50s (shut it) with 10years nc's a good post code but 1 non fault claim 4 years ago and getting prices of £350.

Now i know a lot on here are many years younger and no doubt paying more a lot more but i feel at my age ect it should be a lot cheaper.

Plus why the the hell do you get penalised for a non fault, that's a p155 take :mad:
i dont think you will insure anything for under 250 these days
so 350 isnt too bad

I’m with Saga for my Coupe £150 yearly. I’m 65 but I’ve went for very low mileage.

i dont think you will insure anything for under 250 these days
so 350 isnt too bad

Got to say...I'm 35, me and the wife on the Mazda is 193 quid. Her and me on the C3 was 320..and she is 29 so definitely possible.

Both policies are full comp, 0 voluntary excess with courtesy car business use and legal. I do qualify for a discount through work but it's not massive.

Use 2 comparison sites..

Chop and change the persons covered..

Somebody .. or 2.. with a clear history can really drop the prices

A while ago I found it was cheaper for 2 x 17 year old learners than with 1....!!

I got stung with a pothole claim.. so I feel your pain

Last edited:
For my 500X Cross Plus, aged over 60, I'm paying £249 with Geoffrey Insurance. No doubt cheaper can be found but they don't hike prices every year.

My premiums and have never had to badger them for a lower premium or I'll leave:

£249.68/2020,£254.22/2019,£272.16/2018,£290.08/2017,£267.30/2016......

Certainly worth a call.

Now for the ever, annual, perpetual, today, tomorrow get out clause. Names, companies, suggestions, reviews, etc. are a starting point and in my experience MANY work out as not living up to what others see, get, etc.

So sadly you have to do all your own legwork taking into account suggestions from people on forums etc. and hunting for yourself.

The insurance business is one of my pet hates and really drives me mad not only for pricing but for how they can wriggle out of cost liability.

For example. If your car insurance covers loss of personal possessions say up to £200 and you suffer a vehicle theft loss loss then do not be surprised to find that insurance company looking to split the loss with your house insurance where you are also covered for personal loss. Yes £100 each and TWO claims on your record. Same can/does go for travel insurance where the prime insurer can look for redress from any other policies you hold that cover the same loss.

Legally should not be allowed because you are in fact paying a double premium for a single cover.

Maybe things have changed in recent years so thsi is an opportunity for Dan at Adrian Flux to chip in on what the current business practices of the insurance industry are concerning potentially dual covered losses.

Maybe things have changed in recent years so thsi is an opportunity for Dan at Adrian Flux to chip in on what the current business practices of the insurance industry are concerning potentially dual covered losses.

Maybe there's a place for Dan to provide a bespoke package that covers the things people really need at reasonable cost.

Back