General Inner ARB replacement

Currently reading:
General Inner ARB replacement

Wow.... a load of **** that is....

I just assumed you would pop em down and pull the D bushing out and slot it and off you go....

Oh no....
They are 3 pieces, the u clamp - bushing and top plate....
The top plate and u clamp are pressed together...
You cant seperate them without either cutting the pressed ring or grinding it....
Once it seperates you cant press it back together either....

Ended up using longer bolts to allow me to pull it all back into place.... whcih is a bitch to say the least...

Never again.... ill happily replace an outer... but never a middle again
Which i hadnt touched it now....

Ziggy

When I did mine the bolts sheared in the subframe. Hardened bolts which get harder if you try to drill them, I was saved by a neighbour who had some colbolt drill bits specially for drilling bolts, he worked for a forklift repair company, turned out he new a lot about drilling sheared bolts. Had spent hours trying to sort it but he had them out and new ones installed in a matter of minutes.

I didn’t have any problems changing the bushing it’s self, the clamp and top plate came easily apart

Wow.... a load of **** that is....

Sounds like a challenge or opportunity to demonstrate my punto is in pretty good condition. I have been thinking about taking the subframe off to make sure it is properly protected and there is nothing going on that is unseen. Probably not going to happen until at least 2019 but I could start working the bolts loose in preparation when I do the oil changes. The outer ARB bushes were not easy to release. I should have taken more time to work the bolts back and forth before taking them out - huge pain to get the ARB ends back in again with the roll bar still attached in the middle.

I took my bolts all out 1 at a time when i first got the car and luckily they came out and i copper slipped them all back on in
So they easily came out

They all toruqed up as well

But yeah.... ive got a knockin noise still and im wondering if its the arb...
As there is very little left :( to replace

Ziggy

Back