I want to replace tape deck that says CHECK with CD player - without code, feasible?

Currently reading:
I want to replace tape deck that says CHECK with CD player - without code, feasible?

vroomofdoom

Hi there

I just got my first car, a 2002 1.2L Fiat Punto. It was advertised as having a CD player but when I paid for it I found it had a tape deck, but I needed it so I let it slide. I've seen a CD player for £50 but the thing is this: when I turn the existing stereo on it just says CHECK. I don't know the code. Can this be got around? If it can I'll buy the tool to take the tape deck out. Alternative: is there any way to get an aux out onto the existing tape deck? If I can just plug an iPod in that saves me £50 (less cost of fitting an aux out). Also, I don't want to have to pay anybody and want to do it myself.

Thanks everyone!

Hi,
and welcome to FF , and the world of FIAT

OK - basically all FIAT audio units need a "security code"

IF it's in it's original vehicle the vehicle recognises the unit,so you never see it asking for a code,
however you've got a "foreign" unit, that your car won't immediately recognise / pair with.

So,
you will need the correct code, and have to enter it into the unit,
the reason you've got WAIT - is because an incorrect CODE has been entered before..

https://www.fiatforum.com/i-c-e/430238-dread-wait-display.html

Charlie - Oxford

Thanks for that but it says CHECK, not WAIT. I only know about codes because people talk about them - but I don't seem to be able to press any numbers or make it do anything other than say CHECK, although I'll try when I nip out again in half an hour.

Do I need to find a code if I intend to put a new CD player in, or would it only be if I want to put in a tape to aux in adaptor (or the first item on the car audio direct web site's aux-input-car-adaptors page, which I am not able to post a link to as I haven't done 5 posts yet....)

Thanks

Just to confirm: it says CHECK and none of the buttons do anything at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

So, from what the links above say, I need to either:

a) take it out and see if there's a cable missing or
b) leave the electrics in the car on until CHECK disappears (up to 24 hours)

Is that correct? I've driven to work and back with the radio turned on all the way but it still says CHECK after 25 minutes.

Also, wouldn't option b) kill your battery?

Cheers

Tom

in one link @Davren suggests putting the permanent live and ignition feed live together.. so you can just leave the Radio , and ONLY the radio powered

that should be o.k. for the battery

I can't see Davren say that anywhere in the three links you've given me, neither do I really understand what it means. Any help?

I got some radio keys and pulled my stereo out and there's two rectangular cables that go into it and a circular one. Is this anything to do with the ignition/live feed? I honest have not got a clue what these things are, and, like I said before, the three links don't mention it anywhere.

Edit: on the plus side, behind the stereo I found a piece of paper with the code on it!

Last edited:
Back