I think I'm a full-blown Fiat convert now!

Currently reading:
I think I'm a full-blown Fiat convert now!

Having owned my Panda for over a month I think I'm convinced now on Fiat as a brand. (This is a non specific model thread)

I'm only 19 and like many ignorant ones my age always kind of laughed at the thought of Fiat and either saw things like the 500 unappealing and cars like the Punto as a bit ugly..

Having owned my car now and experienced first hand its benefits over other brands in the same class - even some who are considered more up-market, I'm starting to really get the Fiat thing! And it's great.

I've discovered that the small factor really does add to the fun. The handling isn't that of a Ferrari, but again, it doesn't try to be. Whoever first used the term 'honest' to describe their Fiat really hit the nail on the head in terms of appropriate adjectives. That's very much the type of satisfaction the car gives.

It's a 1.2, yeah, but it's much more compact than even a Polo so when you consider the weight saving it's very nimble and agile - even despite the height of the Panda. And when I look behind the UK into its home market of Italy, I learned things like it was the best selling 5 door car etc and I saw that if Italians take the brand seriously then why shouldn't we? It's the same product and not too much of a different market.

I can certainly say too it's given me much less problems than the few cars I've owned before. The engine runs like clockwork, I'm discovering more and more small things too that'll save my ass someday like the non-interference engine in my case. This is all far from the rumours I've heard about Fiats being unreliable and lousy build quality?! Clearly - if ever - this was true it was long before I was born anyway.

What I'm basically saying is, Fiat make cars that seem unusual when compared to the competition. It feels like they use some kind of different process that involves less of 'what do the other guys have in their latest models' and more of innovation where innovation is needed in making their market of small cars better as the models develop through time.

Now, I hope that my Panda continues to serve me for maybe 5 more years yet - too optimistic? I hope not.

And if it does, my heart is set on the new Panda 4x4 or possibly the 500 (I'm beyond caring if people think it's more of a girls car) because Fiat are offering a product that I for one feel is unique and certainly with today's models the utmost modern and value for money vehicles.

I'm convinced anyway that I'll be a Fiat driver for life so long as they're sticking to their roots and doing what they do best - small cars.

Anybody else agree? If this is a useless thread feel free to delete but I definitely thought this was worth sharing to owners of all Fiats :)

I've has FIAT's now for @ 30 years,

had FORD's for the 1st x 5 years, then my OH owned a 127( ask your parents..):rolleyes:

perfectly good car and 1/2 the price of my Mk1 fiesta( now realise the Fiesta was a cheap copy of the 127- sound familair 2015 Ka owners..):D

the only issues /I've had are on old bangers with previous owner * modifications(abuse)#:doh:

TBH the panda is the best of the bunch for do-it-all use and reliability, (y)
do you appreciate the engine in your panda is 90% the same as in my 1984 panda:cool:

Charlie - currently own a 2004 1.1 Active - cost less than £5K in 2004 , and has cost me next to nothing in the next 11 years / 80K miles:woot:

I've has FIAT's now for @ 30 years,

had FORD's for the 1st x 5 years, then my OH owned a 127( ask your parents..):rolleyes:

perfectly good car and 1/2 the price of my Mk1 fiesta( now realise the Fiesta was a cheap copy of the 127- sound familair 2015 Ka owners..):D

the only issues /I've had are on old bangers with previous owner * modifications(abuse)#:doh:

TBH the panda is the best of the bunch for do-it-all use and reliability, (y)

do you appreciate the engine in your panda is 90% the same as in my 1984 panda:cool:

Charlie - currently own a 2004 1.1 Active - cost less than £5K in 2004 , and has cost me next to nothing in the next 11 years / 80K miles:woot:

Glad to hear that about the engine! Plenty of the original Panda's still around with a cult following!

Did a Google search, some people saying 300,000 miles will come out of those engines! Wow.

Wonder if the new / future Panda's will share that dependability ?

Glad to hear that about the engine! Plenty of the original Panda's still around with a cult following!

Did a Google search, some people saying 300,000 miles will come out of those engines! Wow.

Wonder if the new / future Panda's will share that dependability ?

Manufacturers striving for more power / cleaner running,
means that some of that basic dependability is lost..
the modern engines are now "interference":eek: but drive better and are £100 less to tax..,:tempt:

Mk3 panda is a good place to start, no nonsense little car and the most reliable of all of them. Used to get them as courtesy cars even the diesel was a hoot.

I also used to be 1 of the morons that sneered at Fiats, then it happened: my parents bought a mk2 Punto back in 2005, when I was 15. I immediately began to realise what a bl00dy nice car it was, then a month or so later, Fiat launched what instantly became my dream car: the Grande Punto. Fast forward to 2010, and I bought a mk2b of my own, which I loved from the day I got it. April last year, it was going to need quite a bit spending on it, so I looked on autotrader and immediately spotted it: a relatively local dealer had a Grande Punto Eleganza which I could just about afford. I bought that, and then the infection completely took over: like yourself SB1500, I fully intend to stick with Fiat for as many years as possible! :D

Had a mk2 punto then a mk2b
I love the 8v engines

just stick it in 3rd, stick a brick on the accelerator, and that engine will keep on giving and giving

Insides are fairly comfy and spacious - unless your behind me......
Boots are good too
Plenty of the cars around = Cheap parts
Common problems are well known and now easy to sort (most of them)

I'll probably be getting a Grande Next myself, - a bigger engine, and probably get a towbar too!

Ziggy

I was exactly the same. When the 500 first came out I just thought "oh christ what is that", but they kinda grow on you. I didn't like Pandas originally, but they've grown on me too. Its like a Fiat virus. :D

It certainly is infectious whatever it is about them! I'm neutral between the 500 and latest Panda but the 4x4 on the Panda makes it my first choice. But should they ever stop making them I'm sure the 500 will always be around! :D

I also used to be 1 of the morons that sneered at Fiats, then it happened: my parents bought a mk2 Punto back in 2005, when I was 15. I immediately began to realise what a bl00dy nice car it was, then a month or so later, Fiat launched what instantly became my dream car: the Grande Punto. Fast forward to 2010, and I bought a mk2b of my own, which I loved from the day I got it. April last year, it was going to need quite a bit spending on it, so I looked on autotrader and immediately spotted it: a relatively local dealer had a Grande Punto Eleganza which I could just about afford. I bought that, and then the infection completely took over: like yourself SB1500, I fully intend to stick with Fiat for as many years as possible! :D

Glad to hear that! I've grown to admire the front of those Mk2 Punto's more than I did initially! Nice to hear your story of moving up the model range! Fingers crossed I can do the same over the coming years. The good thing about Fiat is even their best cars are pretty affordable, I don't feel any of them are out of reach of a typical persons budget! Desirable cars most people can enjoy!

I'll probably be getting a Grande Next myself, - a bigger engine, and probably get a towbar too!

Ziggy

The Grande Puntos are absolutely bl00dy lovely. I've had mine for nearly 20 months now, and it's absolutely brilliant! I had to get a new alternator the start of the year, but apart from that, it's been a fantastic car to own!

Glad to hear that! I've grown to admire the front of those Mk2 Punto's more than I did initially! Nice to hear your story of moving up the model range! Fingers crossed I can do the same over the coming years. The good thing about Fiat is even their best cars are pretty affordable, I don't feel any of them are out of reach of a typical persons budget! Desirable cars most people can enjoy!

The great thing about the moronic opinion that so many people have of Fiats is that you can get a brilliant car for a steal! I wouldn't mind betting that I would've paid £500-£1000 more for a comparable fiesta, and I would've had a worse car!!!

I love Fiat, hook line & sinker. I've owned Puntos, Brava's, Bravo, Stilo, Seicento etc...and ok they may not be the absolute best cars in their class but for some reason they're special.

I currently have a 09 Bravo MJet, & the wife owns a 11 500 & to be honest whilst I think the 500 is a bit girlie (& it certainly isn't the fastest motor out there) its such a fun little car to drive!

Back