The new Fiat Pand(in)a

Currently reading:
The new Fiat Pand(in)a

Upgraded Panda with modern safety gear confirmed.

Added all the stuff you get on other Stellantis small cars so cruise control, speed limiter 6 airbags etc etc.
One things for sure, all those ‘hard to get’ cross bits, bumpers, trims, etc will not be a pain to source

So some sticky-on bits, plus a bit of engineering in of safety systems, mainly electronic, and with that the model will be extended to a 15/16 year lifespan.

Failure of investment and/or imagination, perhaps?

Perhaps I'm looking for the silver lining.

But I see it as expediency... they've agreed to keep the factory open a while ago and re-tooling costs a lot of money, Italy will buy as many of the things as it can make..but this may address the NCAP issues around the fact FCA decided to remove safety systems that are considered essential by most manufacturers.

The new Panda is also coming but this keeps the best selling car in Italy alive at minimal cost.

So some sticky-on bits, plus a bit of engineering in of safety systems, mainly electronic, and with that the model will be extended to a 15/16 year lifespan.
over the last couple of deccades this has been the Fiat way.

Punto Grande came out in 2005, essentially the same car was still on sale up till 2018
The Fiat 500 came out in 2007, still on sale now, though they have at least made a new electric model the old model is still on sale.
and if you want to get technical the current generation Panda Launched in 2003 and only had a facelift in 2012 so now it is already an over 20 year old model and will be more like 25 years by the time they finally stop making it.

Even the 500X will be 10 years old soon with no major update or redesign.

The only reason other cars have not been in production for as long is that fiat didn't replace them with anything.

Failure of investment and/or imagination, perhaps?
That and ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’…the 141 was denied us in the UK but still sold thousands in Europe, long after it was ‘old in tooth’. Almost fossilised but still relevant!

“20% increase in production due to customer demand” - there we have it! People still love the car. A [lot] of people buying it still. They’ve genuinely addressed the weak spots - safety woes and lack of ‘modern’ technology.

It’s a different approach than most of the other car makers but it seems to work. More power to them!

I still smile every time I pass one on the road! Good times. Long live the Panda.

“20% increase in production due to customer demand” - there we have it! People still love the car. A [lot] of people buying it still. They’ve genuinely addressed the weak spots - safety woes and lack of ‘modern’ technology.

It’s a different approach than most of the other car makers but it seems to work. More power to them!

I still smile every time I pass one on the road! Good times. Long live the Panda.
By some rough calcs for 2021, of the 132K total Pandas sold, Italy took c110K of 'em. I foresee a further reduction in its distribution network without new hero models to sell to other markets :(

By some rough calcs for 2021, of the 132K total Pandas sold, Italy took c110K of 'em. I foresee a further reduction in its distribution network without new hero models to sell to other markets :(
The other thing is how does a 20% increase now, translate when compared to how many they were making before covid and scaling back production because of the chip shortage.

Production could be down 90% from what it was in say 2019 but its ok because its 20% up compared to last month.
And production increase is being driven by people still waiting for cars they ordered over a year ago, and not actually being based on any new orders for the car.

People need to apply a little common sense before reading too much into these figures.

The other thing is how does a 20% increase now, translate when compared to how many they were making before covid and scaling back production because of the chip shortage.

Production could be down 90% from what it was in say 2019 but its ok because its 20% up compared to last month.
And production increase is being driven by people still waiting for cars they ordered over a year ago, and not actually being based on any new orders for the car.
The numbers are out there, take a look - I've closed my tabs now, but it was a straightforward search. Peak Panda was 250K pa or so, but well over a decade ago, after which it has been in steady decline, including in Italy. The last number said 7.6% of total model sales in Italy, also declining.

As I say, maybe I'm just being a nervous nanny, but the extension of model lifespan and the delay of new investment is a sign that has been seen elsewhere, and it often doesn't bode well.

The numbers are out there, take a look - I've closed my tabs now, but it was a straightforward search. Peak Panda was 250K pa or so, but well over a decade ago, after which it has been in steady decline, including in Italy. The last number said 7.6% of total model sales in Italy, also declining.

As I say, maybe I'm just being a nervous nanny, but the extension of model lifespan and the delay of new investment is a sign that has been seen elsewhere, and it often doesn't bode well.
Without spending hours looking for the exact figures your reply sort of proves my point.

Fiat is apparently at the top of the Stellantis tree at the moment so in a strong position. The issue is not so much does fiat have a future, but does it have a future in the UK or other parts of Europe as right now they are big sellers in turkey, south America and Italy, but there is little to shout about in other countries.

We get massively ripped off for car prices right now. EVs are expensive and it seems companies have been putting there ICE car prices up to lessen the gap and make the EV price seem more palatable and less of a jump. Just to make the point about how much more we pay for cars right now. The top selling car in Turkey is the Egea which is the Tipo here, and it can cost under £10k equivalent in Turkish Lira, where we are paying nearly double that in the UK for a panda right now. there is a very definite premium we are having to pay here in Europe, I suspect it is a simlar situaiton in south america where the cars sell well because they are very well priced. If fiat did a new car in europe for even £12k then it would probably sell well, and the dealerships would be lining up to sell them. Fiat was always the Cheap go to car brand. Cheap cheerful and cheap to run, but their EVs are coming in at more expensive than even VW or some other more premium German brands

Most notably the native British car manufacturers, leyland/BL/Rover…I was talking about this to an Italian friend, who says fiats decline in its own market is a revulsion of its labour practices, and VAG, at one point, selling cars in Italy at a loss.
He agrees that Fiat are **** at respecting staff but, it doesn’t help with staff being ‘militant’ so labour relations are at extreme ends (UK car industry 70-80’s anyone). But that there ‘intractable’ issues will/can result in the long term loss of native production (again, UK 70-80’s).
There will always be a steadfastly loyal following for Fiat in Italy but it’s declining and Italians are renowned for keeping their cars longer and have a hankering for ‘older’ classics

There will always be a steadfastly loyal following for Fiat in Italy but it’s declining and Italians are renowned for keeping their cars longer and have a hankering for ‘older’ classics
They also tend to buy the very cheapest version of the very cheapest car. they don't care too much about bells and whistles, gadgets or safety kit.

Without spending hours looking for the exact figures your reply sort of proves my point.

Fiat is apparently at the top of the Stellantis tree at the moment so in a strong position. The issue is not so much does fiat have a future, but does it have a future in the UK or other parts of Europe as right now they are big sellers in turkey, south America and Italy, but there is little to shout about in other countries.

We get massively ripped off for car prices right now. EVs are expensive and it seems companies have been putting there ICE car prices up to lessen the gap and make the EV price seem more palatable and less of a jump. Just to make the point about how much more we pay for cars right now. The top selling car in Turkey is the Egea which is the Tipo here, and it can cost under £10k equivalent in Turkish Lira, where we are paying nearly double that in the UK for a panda right now. there is a very definite premium we are having to pay here in Europe, I suspect it is a simlar situaiton in south america where the cars sell well because they are very well priced. If fiat did a new car in europe for even £12k then it would probably sell well, and the dealerships would be lining up to sell them. Fiat was always the Cheap go to car brand. Cheap cheerful and cheap to run, but their EVs are coming in at more expensive than even VW or some other more premium German brands
Post 70 referred. Fiat is loading it with more stuff to be competitive with what the market did 5-10 years ago. They are selling very few here. Extending its life and £tarting it up will not help that one iota. I fear for the brand's disappearance from the UK.

Post 70 referred. Fiat is loading it with more stuff to be competitive with what the market did 5-10 years ago. They are selling very few here. Extending its life and £tarting it up will not help that one iota. I fear for the brand's disappearance from the UK.
Folk are wanting the 4x4/Cross but they’re put off with the wait times so look elsewhere…they’re also put off by crap dealerships and aftercare

I suspect this will be about a 12-13 grand car despite the tech lift.

Although the list of upgrades is space age for a Panda...it's all stuff PSA have been fitting to cars in this price bracket for years.

If anything it looks like all they've done is fit the Stellantis BCM to enable them to fit exactly the same gear as I've got in my C3.

Allowing them to standardise some parts to reduce component cost but also providing an upgrade.

This would likely explain the 4 parking sensors of the mule rather rather than 3...they've likely removed the FCA brain and fitted another they had that would accept all the things they wanted to do at minimal cost.

Whether it'll be available in the UK... probably doubtful.

Back