Technical I hate Power steering

Currently reading:
Technical I hate Power steering

speed variable gets heavier with speed so if you do have it then its working backwards. i think you're experienceing the effect speed has on steering in all cars. it hard to turn the wheel when you're at a standstill, the faster you go the easier it is to turn, its usually difficult to notice that effect on pas cars but it is noticable, especially when leaving the motorway, but you get used to it after a few secs so the change appears to go away.

jug said:
speed variable gets heavier with speed so if you do have it then its working backwards. i think you're experienceing the effect speed has on steering in all cars. it hard to turn the wheel when you're at a standstill, the faster you go the easier it is to turn, its usually difficult to notice that effect on pas cars but it is noticable, especially when leaving the motorway, but you get used to it after a few secs so the change appears to go away.

I know that it gets heavier at higher speeds, which gave me the idea that it had'nt lightened up at the time i've slowed down and gone around a roundabout, as that is how it does feel at times

Me too!

My other car is a mk2 GTE astra (currently rebuilding) this has pas but feels spot on through corners, on straights etc, the bravo on the other hand, well where do you start? very very light, constantly adjusting position through bends, find myself turning in tight a lot of the time, due to a lack of feel, hates side winds, my mate was trained at fiat and he says thats how they are, it doesnt "spoil" the car, but sometimes i wish it wasnt so skittish! :(

I agree, the PAS on the brava is too light. The first few months i had mine i had the same problem. Id move one hand to alter the heating or do something with the radio and the next thing i know im on the other side of the road! It took me a while to get used to it though but i finally got there. I was too used to how heavy the power steering is on the new Corsa and the Astra coupé.

And you know its weird on B roads. You take a sharp corner too fast and it looks as if your sliding out a bit but still the car or the steering doesnt fight back at you at all. Sometimes its good. and sometimes its just plain scary! :eek:

Ah well, I guess Sammi and I are the only ones to like Bravo/a power steering! Personally I find it nice to be able to go round a tight corner without the car fighting you over the issue and just have a loose touch on the wheel at other times. Seems to be a boy vs. girl thing here by the way, could it be us girlies just physically struggle with heavy old cars, so it's a delight not to have to?

yep i'm with the majority, PAS is crap, when i took the marea for a test drive i was all over the place flooring it up the hill as you just cant feel a thing!

not only does it make the car harder to control you loose the sence of speed when you accelerate, in my unno you feel it all in the marea its like being at a stand still!

PAS(n)

Guys I am glad I'm not the only one that hates PAS... Personally I think PAS should always be offered as optional and never as Standard.

This may sound like a naive and silly thing to say....but if you keep your car at a controlled speed you should not need to worry whether or not your car has power steering. The car should be controllable no matter what the road conditions are like.....and if in doubt slow down.

its better to drive at 20 mph round a corner than at 30 or higher and risk over steering or understeering...endangering yourself and other road users

"Remember Safety first, you are driving what could easily kill some one and yourself"

right now lets see how many people take the mick out of me now

The Danger comes when one is driving on the motorway ... surely you're not suggesting I should drive at 20 or 30 mph ?
The steering at low speeds is Ok and any mistake can be easily be corrected, but I still say that manual steering gives a better feel and appreciation of road conditions... speed...etc

oh no not on a motorway sorry i got confused...i test drove a brava yesterday and the steering is very light....so just ignore my random babling.

I like the steering on my Bravo :D
I find Rob's heavier steering on the Tipo takes some getting used too.....
I've had a go of my sister's old Rover before she sold it, that had no power steering and it was awful to drive :yuck:

im perfectly happy with the PAS on my Brava.
Ive had two Rover 200's previously one without and one with PAS and there is zero chance of me going back to a car without PAS, and considering the R200 mk2 is the same weight as the Brava and that it was a heavy beast to park without the PAS, i'd imagine the brava would be as bad

Back