Technical I filled 7litres of petrol in my diesel car

Currently reading:
Technical I filled 7litres of petrol in my diesel car

RgygFiorino

Hi guys.
I have a 2020 new car .. it ran only 28000km. And today it had almst 40% diesel and i wanted of to fill it.but i accidently filled it with 7Litres petrol. And then i filled it (fully) with diesel (Shell Vpower).
And drove it home (2 - 3 km).

What should i do? Empty it? Add some additif? . Please help.

In days gone by I'd not have had the slightest hesitation about just driving on with a small quantity of petrol in my diesel vehicle's tank. In fact back in the 50's and 60's it was quite normal, in winter, to add a gallon or so of petrol to a diesel when filling up to thin the fuel and make starting easier. I'm not so familiar with the most modern diesels, especially common rail set ups, and I definitely wouldn't even turn the ignition key on a common rail if I realized in time that I'd miss fueled it. Why? well, diesel fuel has a considerable ability to lubricate whereas petrol has none at all. Common rail systems work at very very high pressure - like stratospheric! - and the tolerances in the high pressure pumps used are very tight indeed so even a small amount of wear has a massive effect on the function of the pump. That's before you start to take any of the knock on effects on injectors, sensors and cat/DPF function.

The last car I did this to was my 1999 Cordoba 1.9tdi which had an old distributor type pump with "old type" spring loaded injectors and minimal electronics. I put about 4 litres of diesel into a full tank load and she didn't even stutter. I fueled up again when she got to half full to further dilute the petrol content. These days I wouldn't even turn the key on either a Diesel or Petrol car if I miss fuel it with even a litre of the wrong fuel. If you don't turn that key at least all that needs doing is to drain the tank. As soon as you turn that key the electric pump will circulate the fuel through the low pressure side of system, you don't even have to start it! Then you're going to be into replacing the fuel filter and flushing out the fuel lines and electric pump. Not a crippling cost but better avoided. If you do start it and drive off the fuel will then enter the high pressure side. Unfortunately it'll probably drive reasonably well to begin with so you'll be lulled into thinking all is well and keep going but all the time it's running more damage will most likely be taking place. By the time you notice something is wrong it's very likely a lot of damage will have been done and you'll be facing a very substantial bill to rectify it. This can run into the thousands of pounds depending on the make of car and how "lucky or unlucky" you are.

So if you miss fuel don't turn that key, either leave the car where it is - if the petrol station will allow it - or push it off the pump island, but don't fall into the trap of turning the ignition key to unlock the steering! Then call one of the many companies which can attend and sort you out - breakdown services, AA, RAC and others all seem to do this and if you don't have breakdown cover then Fuel Doctor, Wrong fuel recovery, etc (just google for more) It's such a common thing that many filling stations have the contact number of a fuel recovery service posted at the till!

Hi guys.
I have a 2020 new car .. it ran only 28000km. And today it had almst 40% diesel and i wanted of to fill it.but i accidently filled it with 7Litres petrol. And then i filled it (fully) with diesel (Shell Vpower).
And drove it home (2 - 3 km).

What should i do? Empty it? Add some additif? . Please help.
With 7 liltees is Allmost certainly say it need to be drain 2l or so you befinw just brime the tank fuel filler then top up with diesel again a day or two later

Back