General I can not get rid of this grinding!

Currently reading:
General I can not get rid of this grinding!

cnewton

Hi all

I have had my punto 1.2 for about 8 years and for the past 5 years its made a grinding noise on start up. I have been on here and had some good advice, anyways about 5 months ago I bit the bullet and got a new flywheel, new starter motor and new battery.

For 5 months or so it's been perfect not one grind then tonight I get into the car and wham it does it 3 times in a row out of no where. I can not believe it!

Got my mechanic to look at it tomorrow but what else could it be?

I'm totally lost and so frustrated right now!

The thing is with it not doing it for so long I can't now even begin to guess what is causing it.

Thanks for any help on this I really would love to nail this once and for all.

Last edited:
well its probably flywheel or starter again cuz you changed that last time and you got same grinding again
How is that possible? Surely there must be an underlying cause.. It seems unlikely that after changing both things that it would be one of them again?

How is that possible? Surely there must be an underlying cause.. It seems unlikely that after changing both things that it would be one of them again?

You are correct, changing the parts repaired the damage but not the cause. Check (or just replace) the "earth" leads between the battery negative & chassis and chassis & engine block/gearbox. High resistance will cause low voltage and poor engagement. Check the positive feed able to the starter too while you are there. A quick check on the earths is to connect a jumper lead between the battery negative and engine block.
Corroded leads are a known issue.

Robert G8RPI.

You are correct, changing the parts repaired the damage but not the cause. Check (or just replace) the "earth" leads between the battery negative & chassis and chassis & engine block/gearbox. High resistance will cause low voltage and poor engagement. Check the positive feed able to the starter too while you are there. A quick check on the earths is to connect a jumper lead between the battery negative and engine block.
Corroded leads are a known issue.

Robert G8RPI.

This makes sense thank you

Just a question will i have already knackered the new fly wheeel already? its grinded 4 times. However i am not starting it anymore until it gets sorted

Any chance of putting up a sound clip? My starter made strange noises at one point, it was a sticking pinion. Make sure the starter bolts are tight.

I will try. thing is i really dont want to keep making the noise in case i cause more damage but ill have phone ready just incase when i do

This makes sense thank you

Just a question will i have already knackered the new fly wheeel already? its grinded 4 times. However i am not starting it anymore until it gets sorted

Don't JUST do that. Put a SECOND jump lead, also from the battery negative, to the BODY (a stud with a good earth or some similar part) as well, and try it that way. Putting the jump lead from the battery negative to the engine block will make sure there's a good earth for the heavy current that the starter pulls whilst cranking, but you also need a separate earth to the body, for the lighter current that controls the starter solenoid. I recently changed a perfectly good starter on my daughter's car because I ran one jump lead to the block and the starter didn't work properly so I assumed (incorrectly) that it was a duff starter. It was only when the new one didn't work either, that I ran the second jusmp lead to the body and hey presto, it was away!

Just a quick update, i have my car booked in tomorrow in a little fiat independent garage, so i am hopeful they will be able to sort it.

The car has not made the grinding noise for a few days but this morning it made a strange noise. When i went to start it, instead of starting it just made a spinning noise! then it started on the 2nd attempt.

I will update this thread when i know more as it might help someone else out in the future.

When those parts were replaced..ALLof the earth points were disturbed.

The spinning noise today was the starter motors driven gear spinning..but not moving out enough to drivevthe flywheel..or even far enough for a partial connection/grinding.

Look at the electrical circuit 1st.
Probably worth fitting a new earth cable anyway..

When those parts were replaced..ALLof the earth points were disturbed.

The spinning noise today was the starter motors driven gear spinning..but not moving out enough to drivevthe flywheel..or even far enough for a partial connection/grinding.

Look at the electrical circuit 1st.
Probably worth fitting a new earth cable anyway..

I will mention this to the mechanic! thanks very much! would a electrical problem stop the starter motor from engaging properly?

Just an update.. Took it to another mechanic, he is taking the car for a full day next week but it looks like battery issue. The car started perfectly while I was there until he suggested I put the lights on for a minute then try and wham it grinded 5 times in a row.

I am annoyed at last mechanic as I asked him to put bigger battery but didn't.

He is going to check flywheel but thinks because it's new and only just started grinding that it should be OK.

Few things though... He tested battery and it came back as OK on his tester... Can it still be battery?

Also will flywheel be OK do we think? It only started grinding on Sunday but today after having the lights on the car just would not start until he rocked it then it went, does this mean a bad section of flywheel is already damaged?

He is going to check wiring too and give it a good look over.

I'll keep you informed..

Flywheel could be ok.. but that does not mean it is... better check it ( remove the starter motor... check through there- take a few photos)

Did you check the charging system??
If the battery is ok that does not mean it can get all the power to the starter.
check cables, connections.

Flywheel could be ok.. but that does not mean it is... better check it ( remove the starter motor... check through there- take a few photos)

Did you check the charging system??
If the battery is ok that does not mean it can get all the power to the starter.
check cables, connections.
To be honest I have no idea how to do any of this, but he is keeping the car for a day to check it all out

Back