HTC Desire(Android) / Blue&me

Currently reading:
HTC Desire(Android) / Blue&me

I've got my Desire and just upgraded it to Gingerbread - took all of 5 minutes to do it and seems to have improved the phone slightly - improved battery - half drained in a day rather than 3/4's gone; seems to open stuff a bit quicker as well.

Anyway, I repaired the phone with the car and it asked if I wanted to copy my phonebook, I said yes and it copied everything...so my phone address book is now on the car as well. It connects to the car much quicker as well - normally it takes about 40 seconds but now I reckon it is 10 seconds.

Voice isn't supported as the bluetooth protocols haven't been installed with Android...the only bluetooth protocols are for voice and handsfree (as far as I can tell) - if someone could find something that added the bluetooth protocols for speech then you could get your text messages read out...shame Google Voice doesn't integrate...perhaps some sort of accessibility tool would?

I've found a workaround and I think I know why it is failing.

I have managed to update a number of contacts manually by adding them via bluetooth from my Desire - I browse my contacts and then hold down on the name, menu appears and I choose Send content via vcard. On the car I go to Settings, User Data, Add Contacts.

On phone I select the detail I want (name and phone number(s)) but make sure everything else is not ticked, then select Bluetooth, Blue&Me and off it goes.

I think (but have no evidence to confirm) that it fails to send as the phone tries to send all the other detail as well i.e. picture/date of birth/facebook account details, etc. The data is failing as there is a lot of stuff that isn't needed and the system doesn't know what to do.

I've managed to get 12 contacts added (the 12 that I call most) and everything appears to be working so far.

Manual select of the contact you want to add, select only the contact details that matter - name and phone number(s) and then send them via bluetooth.

Good work around. I was going to give up as I had tried importing the phone book a few times and the connection kept breaking off every time. Thanks, it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
I have set the message reader to voice and audio but I don't think it works with the HTC Desire. Is there a work around or a software upgrade?

Are many other folks here running 2.3 on their HTC Desire and finding everything works with Blue & Me? I find that once paired my phone will intermittently disconnect from the car and that when making a call, once it starts to ring someone, it'll usually just disconnect before I even start speaking to them..

Pleased to say I just re-paired the phone and it works great now! Have had my first few hands free calls since owning the car and it's great - a really nice little piece of tech! :)

Back