General How good or bad is the Evo

Currently reading:
General How good or bad is the Evo

paul100hp

Hi

I am looking to replace my 10 year old focus with an EVO. Having read the numerous issues that alot of you have had with your cars I am wondering if this is a good idea.

Is it really as bad as some owners say or have some owners have just been unlucky. Put it this way, would you buy another.

Thankfully I’ve not really had any issues with mine :p, just a couple of small teething problems mainly related to the start/stop system.
It hasn’t been as problem free as my old 100HP Panda although the paint work is better.
It is a big step up on the Grande Punto in my opinion though, my parents have a Grande Sporting and its been a nightmare so in comparison to that the Evo is great, also my mate has a Corsa VXR and he’s had a fair bit bother with that.
I think nowadays its really down to pot luck when buying a car! :(

go for a test drive the handling will be different to the focus to be fair the focus chassis is very very good......

I have done 5k miles and nothing has dropped off or rattles away...

the glove box is still crap as on the GP, although the dash is more solid imo

also negotiate a spare wheel and jack kit as im no fan of the fix and inflate kit

Last edited:
Ive had 1 issue with my and thats the lights.

But tbh people wont really come on here and post how great there car is. Most posts will be about a problem and such, so this does not speak for the volume of cars out there.

As said book a test drive. I love my evo and very glad I choose it. (y)

I've had 1 software issue relating to my start/stop (same as TJ07) everythingelse has been well above what I was expecting, interior quality, performance and economy, it even rides nicely. I'd recommend one.
I know people who've had load of issues with cars you wouldn't expect, Golf's, Civic's and Audi A3's. My mates had his Astra VXR engine replaced once and had the head gasket replaced on the replacement after 250 miles.

Keep in mind that the Evo is about to be replaced, so you can either get a car Fiat have worked the issues out on for 3 years now, and the Grande Punto for 5 years before it, or wait a few months and get the next Grande Punto that may have all sorts of teething issues.

Thanks all, it doesnt seem all bad then . :)

If I get one I will be going for the Mylife, I know its a small engine but most of my driving is around town so I am not botherd about outright speed.

Just one more thing, can you fit a towbar on the Evo, as I need to put my Thule bike rack on the car.

Thanks all, it doesnt seem all bad then . :)
If I get one I will be going for the Mylife, I know its a small engine but most of my driving is around town so I am not botherd about outright speed.

My advice? Don't get the 1.4 8v! Mine is absolutely drinking fuel at the moment for some reason and the lack of power is absolutely awful for me as I live slap bang in the middle of a load of hills/mountains most of which are very steep.

Otherwise it's a cracking car (y)
I wish I'd got the 1.6 diesel now..

Had ours for 6 months and doesn't rattle, nothing has gone wrong and it still looks great.
I would recommend one, but go for the GP trim over the Dynamic.
Ours is 1.4multiair and feels quite sluggish, so would suggest a Sporting for more fun.
Progressive black paint looks stunning when washed too.

My mate has an Audi A1, which cost £5k more than the Punto and is absolutely awful.

I have the GP multiair 105 model and use it for my driving school car. It is doing very well with pupils driving it and feels robust. It runs all day long - 100 miles per day and is very forgiving of the way it gets driven. I don`t think it is underpowered but does need to be revved to get the best from the engine. Compared to all the other cars I drive, I think the power is adequate for its size. The Blue and me is fantastic - especially the Sat Nav and Iphone connectivity. IMHO It is better than the Corsa, Mini, Clio, 207 and I have owned all those.

Les
wannapass.com

My advice? Don't get the 1.4 8v! Mine is absolutely drinking fuel at the moment for some reason and the lack of power is absolutely awful for me as I live slap bang in the middle of a load of hills/mountains most of which are very steep.

Otherwise it's a cracking car (y)
I wish I'd got the 1.6 diesel now..

Whats yours doing MPG wise?

Mines averaging 39-40 MPG over daily back road driving

you want an honest opinion then im happy to give one..

i love my evo!!

had 2 minor technical problems that where sorted with an update 6 months later as solid as ever.... with 3389k on the clock too..

1.4 engine returning 48/50 mpg

great car...

ive owned;

peugeot 107/207

Vauxhall Corsa (newest model)

VW POLO (2008)

Ford fiesta 1.4 tdci (2010)

and i have to say i love my evo the most! definatly do not regret buying it so much room compared to the others, biggest boot etc great around town and the handleing isnt bad either

(y) EVO gets my VOTE!

I'm struggling to make an average of 35mpg at the moment! I'm sure it'll improve as the engine loosens up but living in a veeeery hilly area doesn't help fuel use!
Cruising along it's fine and according to the inst. consumption function on the dash (+a pinch of salt) it's hitting 60mpg+ when cruising at 50 with my foot off the pedal but as soon as I go near that pedal fuel usage shoots through the roof and given that the 1.4 needs a good revving that isn't great.

I really do miss my stilo jtd. 50mpg uphill, downhill and however else you move on a hill! :(
Not forgetting the 165hp remap the previous owner had done on it! :D

towbar...

6722178273_78606114a1_b.jpg

Great little car, as mentioned, people usually only post on here if they have a problem which doesn't give a complete picture. Only problem I've had with mine has been the blue&me not talking to the tomtom and it's going in to have a new module fitted under warranty.

Mine does the same....sorry but it's the Sporting!

Back