General How can I remove this from my headlight?

Currently reading:
General How can I remove this from my headlight?

You mever get your money back on any car. Old ones need new parts and newer ones depreciate. The only way to decide is work out cost per month of buying a newer car and the cost of repairs on the older car. Thinking about new clutch costs as proportion of the car's value is false economics.

What matters is the total proportion of expected costs and any show stoppers like serious rust. A head gasket is by no means a certain cost, especially if the engine is properly serviced.

A far cheaper option is a proper system flush and replace anything that leaks. e.g. radiators are only about £30 and easy to fit.

I appreciate what you're saying, but with the cars current problems there is no preventative solutions as far as I know. The clutch or cam belt typically will fail at the most inconvenient time possible and I'd go as far as saying that both should have been replaced some time ago. It's an 8v so i'm willing to run it until the clutch goes or the belt snaps. The only preventative thing I can do is not abuse it.

Parts and labour for both would probably be in excess of £400. In 7 months time the car will very likely have over 90k on it and i'd be happy getting £400 for it so I don't see much point in putting any money into it. 3rd party (no fire/theft cover) insurance is 3x the price i paid for the car, MOT and tax is also up in November, so if it lasts until then I may not bother putting it through MOT and break it for as much cash return as possible.

I don't really see much alternative (n)

£400 is 2 months payments on a small loan so really not so bad as the loan payments keep going. As I said, ignore the car's actual value - its costs per month that matters.

Only you can decide if the car is otherwise good enough. Rust or otherwise general decrpidity its perhaps time to scrap it. But if its just servicing, any car has those costs - including the nice new one bought on tick.

Cam belt is dead easy (read cheap) on an 8V
Clutch is £150 or less plus parts.

After all that if you are sick of the Punto and want a change, then go for it. For sure though its not the lowest cost option.

Just used Wet and Dry 1200 with soapy water, followed by t-cut and a drill buffer, and has worked great on my headlights which were in a bad state before. Has taken several tries though to get it perfect.

Hi zigleon, the punto has metallic paint and lots of dirt ingrained in the lacquer on the roof and bonnet. Did the whole car and waxed it after... headlights then looked rank, I had the metallic T cut to hand and figured that what was baked onto the headlight lenses was likely to be similar to what was on the roof.

Don't think I have any regular T cut in the garage, so cant comment.

Back