Technical hill holder unavailable

Currently reading:
Technical hill holder unavailable

savage00

Hello , its been 2 months now and my hill holder is not working, i had a similar issue before that happened occasionally along side with the ESP turning off which i fixed by replacing the brake light switch but now its only giving me "hill holder unavailable see handbook". I read that it might be a failing battery or i that i need to replace the clutch switch but i'm kind of confused because i think that the brake light switch and the clutch switch are the same thing.

Last edited:
Hello , its been 2 months now and my hill holder is not working, i had a similar issue before that happened occasionally along side with the ESP turning off which i fixed by replacing the brake light switch but now its only giving me "hill holder unavailable see handbook". I read that it might be a failing battery or i that i need to replace the clutch switch but i'm kind of confused because i think that the brake light switch and the clutch switch are the same thing.
It is definitely not the same thing. One is under the brake pedal and the other under the clutch pedal

Hi did you solve it? I have a similar problem in grande punto , the clutch in live data apears to be allways in depressed position but does not throw any code

Hi all. The description of your issues can happen with a low voltage battery… this is the most common issue- check battery connections firstly and then measure voltage when stationary- should be 12.6 minimum- then measure voltage when starting vehicle, if it drops below 9v while cranking it’s probably in need of a good charge or has a dead cell. If the voltage after starting sits around 14.5v the alternator is working and again points to the battery being at fault.

I assume the car does a Saftey check before ignition and this is when the fault occurs.

Got fault codes?

Often it's the brake switch, not the clutch..
No fault by the clutch switch and in live data brake switch works fine and no errors too, only got steering errors (c1002 and c0051) but the clutch switch is malfunction not doing on/off

Hi all. The description of your issues can happen with a low voltage battery… this is the most common issue- check battery connections firstly and then measure voltage when stationary- should be 12.6 minimum- then measure voltage when starting vehicle, if it drops below 9v while cranking it’s probably in need of a good charge or has a dead cell. If the voltage after starting sits around 14.5v the alternator is working and again points to the battery being at fault.

I assume the car does a Saftey check before ignition and this is when the fault occurs.
Exactly it appears on the check , and 2 times it turned out the error once i started the car, worth mentioning that sometimes i ear a relay like from the engine fuse box(or starter motor?) , i dont know if could be the earth terminal but the clutch switch definitly is not doing it job (no on/off).
The battery i tested with a new one from my dad alfa and no luck.
The voltage i remember check with mes and once on was about 14v .
I noticed that the alternator belt seems perished definitly needs a change.

Last edited:
Ok well battery sounds ok, I agree a new Drive belt will need changing…
What about ABS sensor in the wheel hub? A broken sensor can cause hill holder and ABS/ ESP problems?

Ok well battery sounds ok, I agree a new Drive belt will need changing…
What about ABS sensor in the wheel hub? A broken sensor can cause hill holder and ABS/ ESP problems?
All seems good in the mes all give information and no errors, the clutch switch i taken it off and give a contact cleaner to see if it start it to life, the only errors i got is the c0051 and c1002 but the steering seems really nice even when the error light up.
I will check the earth from the body to the gearbox too

Attachments

• 20231118_190233.jpg
    20231118_190233.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 35
I was checking on mes and found this what do you think, on the clutch pedal i can see a change but not in clutch contact 2? Any idea?is it normal?
In the engine module i can see that variation
but when i conect the asr module always released
everything seems fine around 14.3 once started , and 12.something , and 14.1 with air con radio etc.
The relay sound mostly when reconect the battery, but when it gives the error also clicks .
20231119_160221.jpg

Attachments

• 20231119_160221.jpg
    20231119_160221.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 26
The clicking could be a relay for the electrical circuit.

Does the data change when you depress the clutch pedal?
Sorry I can’t help anymore than that….
Hopefully somebody on here may be able to give you more advice.

Thanks

The clicking could be a relay for the electrical circuit.

Does the data change when you depress the clutch pedal?
Sorry I can’t help anymore than that….
Hopefully somebody on here may be able to give you more advice.

Thanks
Yes in the engine mes part it shows variation only on the clutch pedal.
In the abs module does not change.
Thank you so much everything helps

Yes in the engine mes part it shows variation only on the clutch pedal.
In the abs module does not change.
Thank you so much everything helps
I do not have access to mes, im not a mechanic or dealer but a mere hobbyist 😀
I wish you luck

Back