Technical High CO emissions

Currently reading:
Technical High CO emissions

No3 looks the same as 1&2

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_140855.jpg
    IMG_20200630_140855.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
No4 has a similar indentation to No3 but bigger otherwise its the same wrt colour and lack of oily deposit

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_142310.jpg
    IMG_20200630_142310.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20200630_142322.jpg
    IMG_20200630_142322.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
Reset the spark gaps and they'll do another 100,000 miles. :)

Good News - the colours look normal (IMO) suggesting engine is running as it should.

Bad News - Adds weight to the failed catalyst hypothesis.

Last edited:
I think thats a 'V' formed to produce a better spark ;)

Gaps look massive to me..
Me too and does one plug look very very sooty on half of ground electrode.
Could indicate leaking injector?
Remember it's only over fueling at idle.

The plug in last pic is out of focus but is the centre electrode looking washed white by fuel?

Reset the spark gaps and they'll do another 100,000 miles. :)

Good News - the colours look normal (IMO) suggesting engine is running as it should.

Bad News - Adds weight to the failed catalyst hypothesis.
The cat hasn't failed , the cat is able to clean up the exhaust enough at fast idle to pass mot limits

Last edited:
Not from a panda but this is a plug from a correctly running engine after 10,000 miles use , when it was replaced on normal service1593530033232.jpeg1593530104419.jpeg

There is no soot on the ground electrode at all.

Last edited:
Broke lead on last plug removal so ordered new set and 4 new plugs, which plug do you think has issue?
It is very hard to tell from photos but number 4 looks the worst.

Why not pull the fuel rail with injectors and fuel pipe still attached?

Arrange it so you can see injector tips.

See if any are dripping or leaking.

Turn key to position when lights come on and fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds (Do not operate starter)

Look again for injector leaking.

Last edited:
Broke lead on last plug removal so ordered new set and 4 new plugs, which plug do you think has issue?
All of them look like they need replaced, soot anywhere on a plug is not good, oil on the threads and gaps look wrong, put a feeler gauge on it, the burn is wrong, hence fuel going straight in to the exhaust.
Start with new plugs set at the correct gap, and hope after it is burning clean, that the Cat is ok after it burns/cleans all the excess fuel out.
Looking at the mot figures, it failed the first fast idle and just managed to get to the upper limit on the second fast idle for a pass, don't confuse a pass with good.
The plugs should look like Jackwhoo pics a nice clean burn.

Last edited:
Fit the new spark plugs to the correct torque. Obviously over-tightening is bad but they can also give trouble next time if they were under-tight.

I bought a pair of coils complete with plug leads for around £40. I just got the set and done with it.

It is very hard to tell from photos but number 4 looks the worst.

Why not pull the fuel rail with injectors and fuel pipe still attached?

Arrange it so you can see injector tips.

See if any are dripping or leaking.

Turn key to position when lights come on and fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds (Do not operate starter)

Look again for injector leaking.
Pulling the injector rail today after I pick up new plugs and leads.

De-pressurised injector rail, removed.
All injector tips look dry as a bone, reconnected all injector leads and turned key to engage fuel Pp, 5 times fuel injector line repressured zero leak from injector heads.

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_101232.jpg
    IMG_20200701_101232.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 33
Is there anything to even be looking for. Just looks like plugs that are mainly Been used on short trips ?

and its how I would expect them to look as we already know the long term trim is maxed out and still running rich.

Last edited:
Back