Technical hgt variator

Currently reading:
Technical hgt variator

reaper_HGT

im pretty sure my variator is loosing it, it sound like a diesel a few second after start up and after that it goes quiet, but still make a lot of noise, pulls great though!!! :) is it gone? how do i know 4 sure? and what is the price 4 a new part?

Get it done as soon as possible as it can agrevate all sorts of other faults in the long term. I'd opt for the GSR uprated one aswell it will last for the life of the Car and give a slight performance boost over the OE part. If you think it pulls hard now wait until it gets fixed ;). Oh and don't forget to get your belts and tensionsers done at the same time, your crazy not to :rolleyes:.

thnx lot 4 the replies :)
any idea how to get a gsr variator in Serbia? :confused:

Get it done as soon as possible as it can agrevate all sorts of other faults in the long term. I'd opt for the GSR uprated one aswell it will last for the life of the Car and give a slight performance boost over the OE part. If you think it pulls hard now wait until it gets fixed ;). Oh and don't forget to get your belts and tensionsers done at the same time, your crazy not to :rolleyes:.

What other faults can it cause? proof would be good so that 1747 owners can get fiat to change them on warrenty/reinburse people who have had to pay to change it over the years. Sending the proof to watchdog would be an idea too as they could do a follow up.

fiat will never pay for them out of warranty period

normally they fail due to people not using the correct oil in there cars or lack of servising

most of them when regularly serviced with fiat don't give any problem until 90k miles which in my books is good going

my dads car has just started doing this at 106k and it has had selenia oil from new

ok dont think im retarded but i can not seem to find the link to GSR?:bang:
help please

i have punto hgt deisel noise, cambelt fitted 7mths ago variator not replaced tho
notice deisel noise on idle
any ideas?

Last edited:
Its all in the thread. :) But thanks for persevering with the FF search.

The variator has failed and will get steadily worse. It should have been done with the cam belt.

Fiat have now solved the variator design fault, so GSR do not do them any more. The really bad news is the inlet cam has to come out of the engine. The old variator has to be heated to break the thread lock and removed in a vice. New camshaft oil seals are needed because if they fail you are stuck doing it all again (again),

The cam belt cannot be re-used. Rather it can but they are fragile enough so dont risk it. Retensioning these belts shortens the working life and they are already marginal on the HGT.

Sorry to deliver such bad news but a new cam belt job is a waste of money without doing the variator at the same time.

All is even more annoying when you find out that Alfa Romeo TS engines have a simple non return valve in the variator oil supply so they dont dry out and fail prematurely. I have no idea if the Punto HGT can be fitted with a valve. Probably not as it will be built into the head design.

Back