General hgt non start!!! please help!!!!!

Currently reading:
General hgt non start!!! please help!!!!!

smithmagic

hi there, i recently brought a punto hgt 2000 w reg non runner with the intention of getting it going and having it as a fun run around. all i was told is that bloke that had the car drove it home and it was fine,he went to start it the next morning and it wouldnt start.it had been to a garage and they said its problably the e.c.u, they didnt seem very sure. it turns over nicely and has a good spark. it will fire up on easy start but obviously only runs for a second.when the ignition is turned on and the engine is cranked the key code light also goes out. is there any other way i can make sure it is the e.c.u or find out whatever it is before i spend the money on a new e.c.u?help much appreciated!

hi there, i recently brought a punto hgt 2000 w reg non runner with the intention of getting it going and having it as a fun run around. all i was told is that bloke that had the car drove it home and it was fine,he went to start it the next morning and it wouldnt start.it had been to a garage and they said its problably the e.c.u, they didnt seem very sure. it turns over nicely and has a good spark. it will fire up on easy start but obviously only runs for a second.when the ignition is turned on and the engine is cranked the key code light also goes out. is there any other way i can make sure it is the e.c.u or find out whatever it is before i spend the money on a new e.c.u?help much appreciated!

Hiya, you checked the Sparks condition, Fuel-filter and Pump to see if it's flowing to the engine ok?

Try and get a dignostic done if you can, that could show up potential issues the car may have...

Problem when you buy non-runners is you are working blind, as you don't know it's REAL history, unless you have a solid source of info. Once you do sort it tho I don't think you'll be dissapointed as an owner of one myself ;)

hi, thanks for the reply!the spark plugs look ok, look good enough to atleast start the car, ill check output from fuel pump, what is the best way to do this? tried takin the inlet pipe off the fuel rail but couldnt get it off? odd type of clip with 2 tabs on? hehe hope not, have heard theyre quite a quick little car?

just noticed a bit of fuel leaking from connection on fuel rail, would this be enough to stop it starting?

hi, thanks for the reply!the spark plugs look ok, look good enough to atleast start the car, ill check output from fuel pump, what is the best way to do this? tried takin the inlet pipe off the fuel rail but couldnt get it off? odd type of clip with 2 tabs on? hehe hope not, have heard theyre quite a quick little car?

Usually the Fuel Pump is under the back seat housed under a metal plate however I have to confirm this is the case with the HGT! Fuel pumps are generally underneath the Puntos by the rear wheels protected by a plastic covering or sheath but again will confirm this for you in the week, although anyone reading this post may be able to give you a quicker answer as I'm a bit busy training a new job :p

Also, yes when they are all ship shape it definately puts a smile on your face :D

just noticed a bit of fuel leaking from connection on fuel rail, would this be enough to stop it starting?

:eek: you've got a leak in the fuel rail? :eek: do'nt take chances try to sort that asap. It's not so much whether it's affecting the starting, more like how long has it been left like this? as well as potentially endangering your life too!
Remember sparks, heat and petrol leaks generally do'nt go well together unless your shooting an action movie :p Sort it soon as. Might be you have to renew the rail if it's damaged.

It'll be the fuel cut off that has tripped, its in the passenger footwell. Mine failed for no reason and caused the same problem. It would'nt reset so I had to fit a new one.

You can test it by linking the two wires out in the connector to it, it breaks the earth to the fuel pump.

thanks for the help!have managed to stop fuel leak now lol, i can hear the fuel pump priming though,does this mean the fuel pump should be working and would eliminate the cut off switch prob? just tested with some noid lights on the injector connectors and none of the injectors are "being told" to inject, what else could i check?thanks very much! am determined to get this thing going!!!

just tried bridging the connection on the cut off switch out of desperation and still no start :(:(

Has the head been off? I ask because there is a little earth tag for the electronics that sits at the back of the cylinder head and is completely inaccessible with the head and inlet stuff in place. I connected mine to one of the engine mount bolts so I could see it. Not because I forgot to connect it to its "correct" place of course. :eek:

Also make sure the ECU connectors are slid down properly DONT FORCE THEM. They should slide down smoothly and pull in the connectors.

Another option might be old petrol. Disconnect the incoming fuel pipe (quick release jobbie) and connect a pipe to a fuel can. Run the pump and see what comes out. If necessary empty the tank and put in new fuel.

Around the back of the block sits the TDC sensor. If your hands are not too big it's accessed by taking off the throttle body and feeling between the inlet manifold and the block.

Last edited:
it hasnt been off that im aware off,ecu connectors are all on ok, i have put fresh fuel in the tank, theres no fuel being injected from the injectors, do you know if the crank sensor could affect this? and also is the crank sensor plug the 3 pin black plug next to the blue 3 pin plug(cam sensor?)at the top left of the engine as you look at it, thanks!!

They might befor those sensor. One goes to the exhaust cam sensor. The wire weaves around behind the cam belt wheels. The other might be the crank sensor. I just reconnected mine and didnt look at the where it goes. Have a feel around the back of those connectors for the ECU earth. It should be bolted to the back of the head underneath.

It might be that fuel cut-off switch. Do some FF searches for how it works. I dont know, but it might actually make a contact rather than break a contact.

At least you proved its not the immobiliser but I'd avoid any more easy start - it can damage the engine.

Last edited:
Around the back of the block sits the TDC sensor. If your hands are not too big it's accessed by taking off the throttle body and feeling between the inlet manifold and the block.

I'm fibbing thats not the TDC / crank sensor its the knock sensor. Important though and a total pig to get at. Its much too high and enclosed to reach from below and from above its wrapped by the inlet stuff. If you have large hands forget getting to it.

hi, have checked fuel cut off and thats ok, plus i can hear fuel pump priming, and have now checked crank sensor, resistance 550 ohms, my god im stuck what to do next!!! any more ideas?? thanks!!

Back