General hgt ecu needing

Currently reading:
General hgt ecu needing

paulhemsley

needing to swap my ecu, also ive been told i will have to change the chip in the key and black box! is this true?? cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
all you need is the ecu, codebox (black box near fusebox aka immob module) and red key chip (or the whole key) from a single working donor car. with those 3 things you can make your original blue keys work, without those 3 things you cant make anything work.

i only have 1 blue key! man on ebay says he has ecu black box and chip. what is the way of getting it working when i get one. also how much would a blank ecu be and could i get one to use without red key?

if you buy from the guy on ebay, when you receive the ecu and blackbox you need to fit them to your car (easy). then you will use the red key chip to teach the immob your blue keys. unfortunately you need 2 blue keys for this (2 unique blue keys with different codes, not 2 copies of the same key).

so this means you need to get your blue key copied at timpsons, but tell them to use the code from a different key. you can use the code from any fiat system1 key (mk1 punto, bravo, brava, marea, cinq) so try to borrow a key from a friend with a fiat to use their code. also get timpsons to make another key using the code on the chip from the ebay seller, this will be your red key, mark it appropriately so you know which is the red key.

then you have all 3 keys you need and you can teach the immob your 2 blue keys using the red key. this is a simple 1minute procedure you can do yourself, instructions are available in many previous threads.

the most important question to ask the ebay seller is if the chip he has is from the red key. if it isnt then the parts he is selling are worthless and useless, without the red key chip you cant use them.

bloke on ebay has only chip out of blue key, so this is worthless?? what can i do people, what would anyone advise.

you could get an ecu decoded so it works on your car, or any car. it will disable the immob so you can use a £6 timpsons uncoded copy key.

i would recommend fitting an aftermarlket alarm and immob if you take this option.

tony (reddy4bed) can do it cheap, here's his website http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/datarecall/

Last edited:
no, a 97 is mk1 (147bhp) and a 99 is mk2 (155bhp), you need a mk2 ecu.

although on second thought 99 is the changeover year so yours could be either, check your ecu code and make sure you get the same one.

Last edited:
Back