Technical 1996 Fiat Bravo HGT overheating problem

Currently reading:
Technical 1996 Fiat Bravo HGT overheating problem

Ven205

So I got the car a month ago and since then when I come to a stop and sit for a moment the temperature goes two lines above operating temperature. When I drive it gets back to either operating temperature or lower. Does the fan have two rates of operation? My fan seems to go relatively slow. Ideas how to fix it?

I don't know about the fan on your particular car model, but usually yes, they do have two operating speeds. So check if the fan is working.
Before anything else, you should proper bleed the cooling system. Air pockets could be causing your problem. How is the coolant level?

I don't know about the fan on your particular car model, but usually yes, they do have two operating speeds. So check if the fan is working.
Before anything else, you should proper bleed the cooling system. Air pockets could be causing your problem. How is the coolant levelI

Before anything else, you should proper bleed the cooling system. Air pockets could be causing your problem. How is the coolant level?
I did maintenance stuff to the car right after I bought it- fluids change, belts and filters. So my coolant is professionally bled, it level doesn't fluctuate. But now that you've confirmed the fans do have two operating speeds, my fan seems to only spin on the first, slower operating speed.

The coolant beeing professionally bled and recently changed, there is very big chance of air pockets in the system due to not proper bleeding being done.
You can check if the fan is working on both speeds, but you gotta make sure the cooling system is bled properly.

The coolant beeing professionally bled and recently changed, there is very big chance of air pockets in the system due to not proper bleeding being done.
You can check if the fan is working on both speeds, but you gotta make sure the cooling system is bled properly.
Hm, okay I will check for air pockets tomorrow, I suppose you bleed the system by opening the reservoir cap and unscrewing the two screws at the top of the radiator?

Yes, pretty much that's how you bleed it. I do it this way, on my Punto: Having the heating radiator high up, I put it on higher ground with the front wheels. I start the engine and bring it to heating temperature then I stop it. Put the heat on, to open it's circuit. Then I take down the cap and the bleeding screws completely. Punto has one screw on the radiator and one on the heater matrix. Then I put coolant in until it comes out to the bleeding holes. First the radiator, put the screw on and put more coolant until it comes to heater matrix. Put that screw on and take some coolant off if it is above the max line. Cap on and that's it!

Replace your resistor fan. Its located at the bottom of radiator fan casing. Resistor fan for speed 1.

1C5C77B2-C7F2-4227-BB6D-BF1F6CBEB25E.jpeg

I did maintenance stuff to the car right after I bought it- fluids change, belts and filters. So my coolant is professionally bled, it level doesn't fluctuate. But now that you've confirmed the fans do have two operating speeds, my fan seems to only spin on the first, slower operating speed.
Did the temperature fluctuate when you first bought it before you had the coolant changed?

Back