General Help

Currently reading:
General Help

Adrian1952

Hi I have a 2009 1.1 Panda echo and I can't find an oil filter that fits the one that's on at the moment the diameter is too small and so are the one's listed at all the parts dealers. Im at my wits end if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks Ade

Hi I have a 2009 1.1 Panda echo and I can't find an oil filter that fits the one that's on at the moment the diameter is too small and so are the one's listed at all the parts dealers. Im at my wits end if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks Ade
No chance of reading the part number and make from the old filter , if gentle wiped with engine cleaner or similar? I have done that in the past. Obviously if you have to refit until correct part arrives dry off engine cleaner and soak in clean oil to give some protection.Also sometimes when filter is off the thread size is written on metal ones, but if a paper element eBay sellers especially often have the physical dimensions to allow you to compare.
Any chance of reading the engine serial number as an extra confirmation?

IIRC oil filter specs were changed at least once during the production run, with later filters being physically smaller. This also explains the variation in engine oil capacity in the various handbooks and technical documentation.

My understanding is that they're interchangeable. Providing the dimensions of the thread and sealing ring are the same, and there's sufficient clearance to fit it, the outside diameter of the can isn't critical.

It's worth spending a little extra to get a decent filter (there's some cheap rubbish out there); if you don't want to stick with OEM, then personally I've great respect for MANN filters, readily available from most factors.

There’s no guarantee the one on correct
This is an important point when buying any spare part.

Never assume that what's currently fitted is the correct part, especially if it's possible that the part has previously been replaced.

There was a serious incident when a BAC 1-11 lost a windscreen in flight due to incorrect bolts being used to replace it during maintenance. The engineer used the old ones (which were incorrectly sized) as a pattern when getting replacements from the store, rather than checking the technical documentation to establish what should have been fitted.

Back