Help needed!!! Lost sat nav

Currently reading:
Help needed!!! Lost sat nav

Hi All,

This week I do training for work away.

For the first 2 days we had to stop in a seperate hotel for whatever reason.

After leaving that hotel and returning to the normal one, iv realised I have left my sat nav somewhere.

I have contacted the hotel and car hire company (for the car we travelled in) multiple times with no result.

They are the only two places I will have left the sat nav.

I have no idea what to do, if both parties are denying finding anything and are convinced they have looked everywhere, what else can I possibly do?

The satnav was not cheap (£200+) and therefore I am desperate to find it. I do believe there is a chance it may still be under warranty with TomTom, but would they replace?

Thank you for any advice :(

Sam

But ... Don't just leave it at "Can you call me if one turns up' keep pestering the front desk there. They won't call you very promptly from previous experience.

Warranties never cover lost or accidental damage as Jon said.

You'd be better off saving a premium call to TomTom and seeing if your parents can claim it on the home insurance. I had a mountain bike stolen from the town where i live and my parents just claimed it though the home insurance when i lived there and i got a replacement.

I customised my Tomtom which they make very easy to do, to say on the power on pictures "reward offered if found and returned" if registered with tomtom I believe it does limit what you can do if not logged in with the registered account

Andyrkett, I am registered online and the serial code etc is also. Do you think it might be possible to prevent any further updates or use? I understand a gps is only a reciever (i think) so not possible to track it? The worse thing is, this was a gift only a few months ago :(

edit 1: this isnt the exact model, but i left the charger, and usb cable in the sat nav case. What they wont have is the actual box, so should I look out for something like this on ebay? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-TOMTOM-Start-25-Europe-Sat-Nav-GPS-Receiver-/200833784683?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2ec2a05b6b

edit2: just found this - Check to see if the device is in operation. TomTom navigation will not track stolen or lost devices because the devices themselves do not transmit tracking information. They can, however, tell you if a device is currently in use, which may help you figure out whether you should continue to look for it or not. You will need the serial number when you call customer service.

Anyone any experience with the above?

edit3: as a longshot, i may see if work (BT) can claim through their insurance...I was using it for work purposes.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Andyrkett, I am registered online and the serial code etc is also. Do you think it might be possible to prevent any further updates or use? I understand a gps is only a reciever (i think) so not possible to track it? The worse thing is, this was a gift only a few months ago :(

edit 1: this isnt the exact model, but i left the charger, and usb cable in the sat nav case. What they wont have is the actual box, so should I look out for something like this on ebay? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-TOMTOM-Start-25-Europe-Sat-Nav-GPS-Receiver-/200833784683?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2ec2a05b6b

edit2: just found this - Check to see if the device is in operation. TomTom navigation will not track stolen or lost devices because the devices themselves do not transmit tracking information. They can, however, tell you if a device is currently in use, which may help you figure out whether you should continue to look for it or not. You will need the serial number when you call customer service.

Anyone any experience with the above?

edit3: as a longshot, i may see if work (BT) can claim through their insurance...I was using it for work purposes.

[Edit 1] It would be a good idea to keep a look out for it on eBay, if someone has taken it they will probably try and sell it and eBay is the perfect place. If you do spot one, send the seller a question asking why there is no original box, also ask for the serial number so you can 'tell if its a genuine TomTom as you there has been fakes circulating on eBay recently' ;)
Did the case come with the sat nav or was it bought separately? If it was separate it will be easier to spot when browsing.

[Edit 2] Are TomTom able to tell you the last know use of the Sat Nav? That way you can tell if it was you or not and if someone did pinch it, i'm sure they would turn it on to check it even works!

[Edit 3] May aswell ask BT, the worst they can say it no. I'm not familiar with companies claiming on their insurance for an employees lost possession even if it was on a business trip because in their eyes you shouldn't have lost it in the first place so they won't feel they can be held responsible.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
@Loop thanks mate, will do what I can!

@ChrisUK If i had bought this I wouldn't be so bothered and would accept accidents happen, but this was a gift not so long ago and although ill tell them eventually, there's no harm in trying to get it back. Either way, sitting at home and looking through ebay doesnt cost anything so might aswell :) I see what you're saying though, I just wanted to try all I could.

Back