Technical Help my Fiat 500 1.2 8V will not start!

Currently reading:
Technical Help my Fiat 500 1.2 8V will not start!

Always good and annoying when it's something simple and stupid

Always good and annoying when it's something simple and stupid
I charged and tested the battery.
The tester says it's fine.

Voltage = 13.6 V
Measured = 445 A
Battery value = 440 A

So it's not the battery after all apparently.

Well, I'm lost, you changed the battery, and video shows it now starts...????

Voltage = 13.6 V
That doesn't sound good. Not at all!
Normal voltage for full charged battery is 12.8 V. Or did you get 13.6 V with the engine running? If so, it is below normal. Normal voltage for alternator to give is between 13.8 V - 14.2 V.
You should try a known to be good battery and see if that is really the problem.

The headlights are not on. Only the daylights in the bumper are on. I will turn them off through the menu.
So that's not right there's no indicator light for the drls the green is for the headlights or sidelight only when the key is out but then the headlights come on when you crank the engine.
In the video it's clear there's a power supply issue it should crank far faster and not labour into spinning over
If it's not had a new earth strap it NEEDS one. And a new battery

Last edited:
Just while we are all getting on to you, red-lining it from cold is also really bad for an engine.

I do not trust batteries and testers!!! $% Years of experience say get an expert to test it with professional gear. Ive seen batteries with 13v that are failed due to one cell fail. Not clear if you have actually got it going again. At a year old you may well get a warranty claim on the battery if it has gone down.

So that's not right there's no indicator light for the drls the green is for the headlights or sidelight only when the key is out but then the headlights come on when you crank the engine.
And also, there is the indicator of the dipped beam present and that happens only when the lights are on.

Well, I'm lost, you changed the battery, and video shows it now starts...????
I didn't change a battery. And this is not my video. That's an example I found. Nothing stars :(

That doesn't sound good. Not at all!
Normal voltage for full charged battery is 12.8 V. Or did you get 13.6 V with the engine running? If so, it is below normal. Normal voltage for alternator to give is between 13.8 V - 14.2 V.
You should try a known to be good battery and see if that is really the problem.

13.6v it was when I disconnected the charger.

This is not my youtube movie and not my car in the movie!

I tried to start the engine today with full battery and full battery booster. It turned very hard but did not start.

My problem is in the throttle body I think. Potentiometer gives wrong values. And I can't recalibrate it with the tester.

I think I will have the car towed to Fiat.

I do not trust batteries and testers!!! $% Years of experience say get an expert to test it with professional gear. Ive seen batteries with 13v that are failed due to one cell fail. Not clear if you have actually got it going again. At a year old you may well get a warranty claim on the battery if it has gone down.
I agree, The chap round the corner from me has one of those new type testers with thin leads which obviously can't pull any current. He came round to me, earlier in the autumn, because he was having trouble starting his car but this tester said the battery was A-OK! I stuck my multimeter across it and cranked the engine only to find around 11.5 volts showing. Charged the battery up and it started OK but next day it was the same story. So duff battery - maybe sludge in the bottom of the cells causing an internal discharge? Who knows - but the "silly" tester's lights were still showing this battery to be OK. I checked for parasitic draw but there was only the usual "modern car leakage". A new battery solved his problems. The old heavy discharge type used to give reliable results back in the days I was on the tools but they seem to be rather frowned on now?

Robin R, I've been following this thread with great interest and it's obvious your problem is no simple fault. You've tried valiantly to resolve it but I think you are just out of your depth with this one - not that I might do any better! - So many possible courses of action are being recommended, and any of them may be correct, that I don't think you're going to get on top of this by yourself so getting a "professional" to look at it, as you suggest, could be a good way for you to go. However a Fiat Dealer is likely to be an expensive option? Is there not a reliable small garage/Fiat independent near you where the labour charges are likely to be more affordable?

However this turns out for you, I wish you well and hope you get this resolved cheaply and satisfactorily. Please do tell us what it turns out to be.

Hi Robin, one further thing I checked on advice was the inlet manifold if the car is known to have overheated, as they are plastic they can distort. Not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination and be careful of the harness that is clipped underneath if you do attempt. If the car hasn't overheated probably not worth the effort as unlikely to be fault. Have you tried some easy start spray down the throttle as you are cranking?

Hope you get there soon... start getting soul destroying after a while

Good thing you've got it fixed and working again.
But you know, you kind of tricked us with your first post
- Battery is full charged
That and all other technical details mentioned gave me the impression that you thoroughly verified the battery and the electrical Holy Trinity (Batery, Starter, Alternator). In the future, I am going to mention the basics stuff on forum, when someone mentions their problem, even if there's an impression that it was verified.
At yours, you just got us thinking to more complicated cause and it turned out to be one of the basics.
Again, good thing you've got it fixed!

Back