Technical Help - Missing gears

Currently reading:
Technical Help - Missing gears

iT0113

Help - I have just replaced the gearbox (5 speed manual - '97 60SX) after a clutch change and find that I can only find gears 3,4 and 5. I can't get the gear lever far enough over to find the other two. To disconnect the selector rod I removed the nut which holds the lever instead of splitting the joint and I expect my problem is associated with this. The shaft now seems to be in the wrong position and the small lever fits so that it is too far to the nearside and I don't seem to be able to reposition it more centrally as shown in the diagrams in the Fiat manual. Even pushing the shaft right down with the lever disconnected does not allow it to move to what I guess is the correct position. Have I totally screwed up or is there an easy fix for this? Will I have to remove the top plate over the selectors and what are the dangers of doing this? Will selector balls and springs fly everywhere? All suggestions gratefully received as I am desperate. Help.

Hi if you take the top off your selector box make sure your lever is located propley bolt selector arm on with the top off so that your sure you have it in the right place before you replace the cover. You have probably taken the arm off and the rod has pushed down and unlocated itself.And dont worry no bits will fly out.

Help - I have just replaced the gearbox (5 speed manual - '97 60SX) after a clutch change and find that I can only find gears 3,4 and 5. I can't get the gear lever far enough over to find the other two. To disconnect the selector rod I removed the nut which holds the lever instead of splitting the joint and I expect my problem is associated with this. The shaft now seems to be in the wrong position and the small lever fits so that it is too far to the nearside and I don't seem to be able to reposition it more centrally as shown in the diagrams in the Fiat manual. Even pushing the shaft right down with the lever disconnected does not allow it to move to what I guess is the correct position. Have I totally screwed up or is there an easy fix for this? Will I have to remove the top plate over the selectors and what are the dangers of doing this? Will selector balls and springs fly everywhere? All suggestions gratefully received as I am desperate. Help.
Hi Ive had exactly the same problem doing a clutch change.. and I disconnected the wrond end of the lever as well...I'm going to take the lid off the selector box tomorow and try and fix it...how did you get on with yours???..regards Ken.

Back