General heaters!!!

Currently reading:
General heaters!!!

kaboom

hi guys
iv gone through all the heater threads to try and figure out my problem.
iv got a 1999 punto s60 and i had to renew the thermostat just before crimbo as it stuck open. done the job and bled the system. heaters worked a dream even when i was parked up with engine running.
but over the last week the heaters have started to blow cold when parked up with the engine running.
while on the move they still work a treat.
parked up and temp gos up and the rad fan kicks in as normal.
heaters blow on all settings.
switches feel the same and not sloppy.
no funky smells.
no loss of coolent.
for the love of money i cant get my head around this.
a friend has told me it sounds like the matrix could be blocked and to flash it through and top up and bleed the system.

any idea's or is my friend right???

cheers

uuuuum! no! lol it was ffffffreezin wen i done it.

so if im right in sayin, undo the 2 rubber hoses that come from through the fire wall from the matrix. stick the hose on 1 and let the water run through untill its clear?
and while thats doin that drain the hole system down and then re-connect hoses and fill system and bleed B)

yes that how you would do it yes if you went ahead
It might flow out without a problem - so it might be elsewhere the fault

Did you bleed the system originally with the Heater setting on HOT/Max?
as when its closed it doesn't allow water in

did you just use water or did you use a antifreeze water mix?

Ziggy

yeah the heater was on max and i replaced with 50/50 water, anti-freeze mix when i changed the thermo

Flush the system with a hose into heater and rad etc. Then fill with water & radflush and bleed. Run engine to the instructions. Drain when done and hose flush again until clean water runs everywhere.

Replace any parts that show a leak when the Radflush unblocks corrosion holes.

Pour in 3 litres of red antifreeze and top up with water. Then you know its at least 50% mixture.

Alternatively hope for the best and put some cash aside for a new head gasket. Those holes would be blowing soon enough & rads are lots cheaper than HGs.

Back