General Heater temperature

Currently reading:
General Heater temperature

MCJensen

Hi guys,
I previously replaced the thermostat. Pretty sure I got the air bubbles out.
But it takes a lot time for the heat to get warm and the temp gauge to get up to the middle. Could this be because there's too much antifreeze in the system?
thanks, mcjensen

Hi guys,
I previously replaced the thermostat. Pretty sure I got the air bubbles out.
But it takes a lot time for the heat to get warm and the temp gauge to get up to the middle. Could this be because there's too much antifreeze in the system?
thanks, mcjensen

It is not sounding like peculiarities due to the antifreeze. Best to check the system even with the new thermostat. The top hose should stay quite cold until the thermostat opens once the needle is close to the normal mark.

My car is at normal temperature in this weather coming from a warm garage after about 4km. What about yours? I can get an exact measurement if required.

My car isn't in a garage, probably takes 5-6 km before its normal temp.

Are you sure its fully filled? As my memory goes the reservoir is lower that the heater radiator and is quite hard to get fully filled up straight away. Does your temperature gauge go up quickly to the right temperature? In other words is the engine getting on temperature quickly and stil cold inside?

Also worth considering the replacement thermostat is the problem.

Its well known on the fiat forum that anything other than a genuine Fiat Thermostat then you risk getting something very cheap from china and we've seen many a failed brand new thermostat on the forums in the past.

Does your temperature gauge go up quickly to the right temperature? In other words is the engine getting on temperature quickly and stil cold inside?

No, temperature goes slowly to the middle point. Only when it reaches the middle point does the heater feel hot

...Its well known on the fiat forum that anything other than a genuine Fiat Thermostat then you risk getting something very cheap from china and we've seen many a failed brand new thermostat on the forums in the past.

Wish I had known this fact before

Yours sounds to be a defective thermostat. You can check if so by feel the radiators upper hose on cold engine start. If that hose gets worm before it should - working thermostat should open at 85-89 Celsius degrees and only then that hose should feel warm.
And what do you mean by "too much antifreeze in the system"? Did you put only concentrated antifreeze in the system? If so, that is "too much antifreeze" indeed.
If your thermostat is working as it should and you don't have any other problem that you know of, take a look on this and try this fix:
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/...ter-little-radiator-inside-car.html?p=4569020

Back