Technical Heard the 750 motor club use fire engine

Currently reading:
Technical Heard the 750 motor club use fire engine

g.mcdonald

I read an article a while back,about the 750MC boys using the fire engine for their racing specials.Are they tuning these engines or are they keeping them fairly stock.

I'd imagine there would be some limitations to the tuning - depends on the rulebook :)

From the 750MC website

750 Formula Championship - A brief outline

A true two-seater sports-racing car, although passenger space is very small! Most cars have been individually designed and built by enthusiasts over the years to comply with the chassis regulations; many cars are available second-hand. Essentially the cars are lightweight, space-frame with aluminium panels and fibreglass bodywork.

Engine (section 5.7)
Cars must use either the Reliant 850cc engine or, newly introduced, the Fiat 1108cc ‘FIRE’ engine. Tuning on the Reliant is quite extensive, whilst the Fiat engine is basically standard. With both engines induction is restricted to one carburettor choke; exhaust system is free. Power outputs are in the region of 65 - 70 bhp, but the cars weigh about 350kgs. Average lap speed is 85-95mph.

I have done the first FIRE engine for the 750 motor club in 2003. At that time most of the people still used the Relaint engine, which where disadvantaged due to the lower capacity. This was originally the reason why they could be tuned further than the 1108s. The rules have been slightly relaxed since.

The quoted average lap speeds of 85-95 mph have to be seen in the right context. It is seriously fast.

I've just been chatting to the owner of a Reliant Fox which has also had the 999cc FIRE engine fitted as a replacement for the original 850cc Reliant lump. It seems that retaining the original Reliant clutch and gearbox isn't a problem either.... So this got me wondering...... If I was to buy this car would it be possible to swap the engine for the 1200cc lump, but retain the carb set up, or is fuel injection a must on these larger engines?

I've just been chatting to the owner of a Reliant Fox which has also had the 999cc FIRE engine fitted as a replacement for the original 850cc Reliant lump. It seems that retaining the original Reliant clutch and gearbox isn't a problem either.... So this got me wondering...... If I was to buy this car would it be possible to swap the engine for the 1200cc lump, but retain the carb set up, or is fuel injection a must on these larger engines?

They werent factory carb'd in the EU, and Id expect the carb on the 999cc to be a bit too small. Go EFI.

• Thanks
Reactions: mjb
Back