Health and Safety

Currently reading:
Health and Safety

We do hear of some ridiculous H&S stories these days don't we? Like the council who refused to cut the road side grass as they thought it was dangerous. It's nice to have a bit of fun sometimes, below is what we did yesterday, to some it may seem dangerous, but guess what? Nobody died! And when i say "we" i actually mean my brother and his mates (i was busy filming) although I'm definitely going back there! It's awesome!

And for those watching thinking "it's not that high" keep watching, further on, they go even higher! That's got to be a 40ft + drop hasn't it? Screw H&S and screw our Nanny state! :slayer:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLMmNn7fx4"]YouTube- Crazy people jumping off cliffs into river![/nomedia]

All fun and games until someone ****s it up and ends up in a wheelchair for life.

Theres someone near me that jumped on the local pier with a load of friends...believe hes paralysed from the neck down.

Type Tombstone Video into google :devil:

That has been done for years, i cant remember what its called but we used to do that at school when we used to go to wales. As long as you stick to well documented spots from trustworthy sources then your fine.

I live near the sea so we always used to pier Jump. Me and a mate asked some lad how deep it was and it was up to his neck. We decide to top bar bomb simultaneously just in time to see the bloody midget running away laughing :cry:

Thousands of people do it each year as said above at well selected spots. Of course its dangerous but so is climbing, skydiving, traversing, walking down town on a Friday night and such like.

Last edited:
This fits in rather well with the other thread about NHS proposing not to treat people with self-inflicted injuries - so when you break your neck, don't expect anyone to come to your rescue, you'll have to rely on your mates to get you home & just hope your missus is prepared to spend the rest of your/her life wiping your backside.

This fits in rather well with the other thread about NHS proposing not to treat people with self-inflicted injuries - so when you break your neck, don't expect anyone to come to your rescue, you'll have to rely on your mates to get you home & just hope your missus is prepared to spend the rest of your/her life wiping your backside.

Where do you draw the line though? Obese people not getting treatment for diabetes? Smokers not getting treatment for cancer? Hmmm...

Where do you draw the line though? Obese people not getting treatment for diabetes? Smokers not getting treatment for cancer? Hmmm...

And my comment on the NHS thread was fine, give me the money back out of my wages & also give me back my national insurance contributions and I'll find my own provider.

And the thing is, the whole NHS will collapse because the majority of people who fund the NHS have self-inflicted problems (and remember, sunburn is self-inflicted)

Agree 100%! Had a similar argument a few days ago with someone about not wearing their seatbelt, saying its only them that they will hurt...didn't like it when I said it would be my taxes paying for his care.

I used to think "F***ing elf 'n' safety", until one of our contract electricians at work put 415V through himself and just (and I mean *just*) survived. Pretty crap when someone goes out to work on an average Friday and ends up with an air ambulance landing in the works car park. Anyway.....

With all these "'Elf 'n' safety killed event xxxxxx off" it's always worth looking a bit deeper. Like the cheese rolling this (i think) year; Initial line was over officious council 'elf 'n' safety people killed it off, shortly after the press furore it turned out that the organisers essential plan was to put anywhere between 3k and 5k (their estimate so probably low) in a field that is extremely steep, has one access point, no facilities planned and run cheese races down it.

Now, somewhere there is a line between "Elf 'n' safety killing fun" and sensible/responsible actions. Interesting how some people **** and whinge about "Elf 'n' safety" and the some of us buckle down and get on with it.

Pretty obviously, "Elf 'n' safety" is used as a convenient excuse for not doing things by certain people.

I should imagine there are more people killed in car accidents, or killed by drink/drugs than there are jumping into rivers!

Yep....but ask yourself why????

Could it be that some people become complacent and reckless, they ignore all the warnings, refuse to accept the dangers and go on to adopt a "It wont happen to me" frame of mind that inevitably leads to an incident. Shouldnt they instead be taking a step back weighing up the situation and then properly considering, assessing and managing the risks as well as putting together a plan together for if something did go wrong?

H&S policies exist to ensure risks are removed or reduced with a view to making the situation as safe as it possibly can be for all concerned....NOT to prevent situations from happening.

Its becoming commonplace to see public events being cancelled these days and the excuse being its due to H&S. Its down to the fact that the cost of the liability insurance required by law has skyrocketed in recent years as a result of the "Where there is blame there is a claim" compensation culture that now exsists in the UK. In most cases the cost of insurance and the do`s and dont`s the providers insist on often make the event unrealistic.

I should imagine there are more people killed in car accidents, or killed by drink/drugs than there are jumping into rivers!

You only have to read some of the threads on these forums to realise why there are so many car accidents - much of it is down to the attitude "I know what my car is capable of, speed limits are for pussies, I've passed my test, no-one can teach me any more about driving"
YOU might be the best driver in the whole world.
YOU might be driving the safest car in the world with the most hi-tech grippy tyres & the bestest braking system ever invented, but it only takes one person to pull out in front of you (as they assume you are travelling at the limit, not twice the limit)...
It only takes one nob to do something daft...
I have over 30 years impeccable driving record, my car is regularly maintained etc etc but I never assume. I always drive as though everyone else are a bunch of brand new drivers in a completely strange town.

Agree 100%! Had a similar argument a few days ago with someone about not wearing their seatbelt, saying its only them that they will hurt...didn't like it when I said it would be my taxes paying for his care.

Exactly.

You only have to read some of the threads on these forums to realise why there are so many car accidents - much of it is down to the attitude "I know what my car is capable of, speed limits are for pussies, I've passed my test, no-one can teach me any more about driving"
YOU might be the best driver in the whole world.
YOU might be driving the safest car in the world with the most hi-tech grippy tyres & the bestest braking system ever invented, but it only takes one person to pull out in front of you (as they assume you are travelling at the limit, not twice the limit)...

Word. Or, as I put it, you can push physics and nature so far, but sooner or later she'll come back and bite you on the a*se, whatever you're doing.

Word. Or, as I put it, you can push physics and nature so far, but sooner or later she'll come back and bite you on the a*se, whatever you're doing.

Aye lad, In the immortal words of the greatest engineer of the future "Ye cannae change the laws of physics" (stardate 1704.3):slayer:

I take a size 14 shoe & I reckon I have more rubber in contact with the ground than your average car travelling at speed:D

And to bring us nicely back on topic, some H&S rules might seem so absol;utely, blatently obvious as to be treating us like children but sadly, some of the idiotic things the general public do means we have to be told these things for our own safety.
They don't put H&S warnings on things for the fun of it, people have sued companies because they weren't warned that the bag of peanuts might contain something nutty & so might not be suited to people with a nut allergy.
they weren't warned that the steaming hot cup of tea from McD might actually contain very hot liquids or the sleep medicine should not be taken whilst driving or the mains voltage hairdryer doesn't work underwater...

Last edited:
Aye lad, In the immortal words of the greatest engineer of the future "Ye cannae change the laws of physics" (stardate 1704.3):slayer:

I take a size 14 shoe & I reckon I have more rubber in contact with the ground than your average car travelling at speed:D

And to bring us nicely back on topic, some H&S rules might seem so absol;utely, blatently obvious as to be treating us like children but sadly, some of the idiotic things the general public do means we have to be told these things for our own safety.
They don't put H&S warnings on things for the fun of it, people have sued companies because they weren't warned that the bag of peanuts might contain something nutty & so might not be suited to people with a nut allergy.
they weren't warned that the steaming hot cup of tea from McD might actually contain very hot liquids or the sleep medicine should not be taken whilst driving or the mains voltage hairdryer doesn't work underwater...

Theres a sign at work on the compacter that says 'you must not enter the compacter!'...I pissed myself laughing :LOL:.

I did find it ironic that on the steps there are signs that say watch for hazards...I tripped up while reading them :(.

Back