Health and Safety

Currently reading:
Health and Safety

best one is smoking law.
where i work we weld and such so lots of gasses worse than cigs are around and of course proper ventilation etc. so why on earth cant our smokers smoke inside?

best one is smoking law.
where i work we weld and such so lots of gasses worse than cigs are around and of course proper ventilation etc. so why on earth cant our smokers smoke inside?
Where I work, there is a section called Level 5 Road. This is a drop off area that has one solid wall, one shorter glass and concrete wall, on the side there is a car park which is open to the Level 5 area but partially enclosed on the far side of the car park. Look, you've got to see it. It's not easy to explain.

Because of the walls, it has become a "Substantially Enclosed Space" and as such, under Smoke Free England regs. there is no smoking allowed there. However, because of the amount of slow moving or stationary vehicles no-one is allowed to work there for more than an hour before leaving the area to get some fresh air.

People are not allowed to smoke there, but smoking is not the reason for the maximum of one hour staff are not allowed to stay for more than 60 minutes.

One of the catering companies on the site built a nice smoking shelter for the staff which is very like half of an old style bus shelter except that it actually has four sides with a doorway in one side, and a roof. Unfortunately, under the aforementioned smoking regs., the staff are not allowed to use it. The solution was to smash a couple of the windows to make it legal. Presumably, this is just in case a non-smoker decides he or she wants to join the smokers in the shelter.

Well in college i do an outdoor leadership course and we went gorge walking and we had to climb down very steep cliffs and hills. But when we were abseiling down one of my class mates noticed that there was a dead sheep at the bottom of the cliff face that was very decomposed and was full of bloodand various insect infestation. Our tutors then told us to climb back up and then we had to go back to college because apparently its a Health and Saftey risk to walk near a dead animal incase of the spread of diseases. I was like "What the hell, it took us 40 minutes to get here, another 20 mins to gear up, and now we have to turn back!".........peice of crap.....

Back