Technical Headlight upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical Headlight upgrade

Had a quick search, but eyes are on stalks so can't be bothered.

Whats the consensus for the best headlight upgrade? I want to keep everything legal, but what are the best bulbs out there in Stilo owners opinions for good light spread and distance?

1.2 Stilo by the way, so no silly semi-quasi-legal HID setups please.

For me there's only choice, Philips Extreme +80%. The first set i had, one blew after only a few months so i changed for the Osram Nightbreakers +90%. A few months later, BOTH of them blew at the same time! I've gone back to the Philips now. I feel they look a little bit whiter and produce better light.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Is there anything else I need if I want to fit these mods etc?

Are they just a straight swap with normal bulbs?
Why would you want to fit these :ROFLMAO:

They're dummy HID by the look of it :rolleyes:

I'm sure they are legal but seeing as they almost certainly emit less light than standard halogen - what's the point :shrug:

Why not fit some white +50% or +80% as suggested by early posters.

Why would you want to fit these :ROFLMAO:

They're dummy HID by the look of it :rolleyes:

I'm sure they are legal but seeing as they almost certainly emit less light than standard halogen - what's the point :shrug:

I din't know that Argo:eek:

anhow these +50 or 80 whatits are they just a straight swap to the normal halogen ones???

Hey Steven I have two sets of H1 and H7 bulbs and both are 50% brighter ones ..all new and sealed up..:tempt:

Cars looking good as well mate..but the armrest [as I told you before ] will interfere with your handbrake turns now..:devil:

I'm sure they do look good but i went for usability over style. Maximum light output while staying road legal. I've used the Xenon blue style bulbs before and as good as they look, its not much help when you want more light on the road. Its all down to personal preference but i feel the Philips Extreme have a good blend of bright light and don't look too yellow. Ring do a +90% but i stuck to the tried and tested. (y)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Fitted these last year
http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-55w-pro-max-hid-xenon-conversion-kit-pr-63.html and they passed the MOT first time (although my brakes didn't) they make an amazing difference at night. You may want to pay for a professional install if you're worried about HIDs.

Did they fit headlamp washers too? Because if not they are illegal, doesn't matter if your MOT tester didn't pick up on it, I'm sure one day the Police will. And thats grief I could do without.

So the consensus is Philips or Osram +50% 80% 90% type bulbs!

Excellent I'll go looking when I get the car back from its MOT....

Hey Steven I have two sets of H1 and H7 bulbs and both are 50% brighter ones ..all new and sealed up..:tempt:

Cars looking good as well mate..but the armrest [as I told you before ] will interfere with your handbrake turns now..:devil:

Replied Phil you got pm mate ohhh and no handbrake turns just slow cruising for me homes

Last edited:

One thing to be really aware of is some bulb upgrades are not UV suppressed and will melt plastic lenses of you headlamps so always check on the package for a UV sign with a X over it this will tell you that they are suitable for your stilo's..:)

Osram have the same address a Tesla in germany and 50% brighter..give you a 20Mtr + range over the standard bulbs..

Last edited:
One thing to be really aware of is some bulb upgrades are not UV suppressed and will melt plastic lenses of you headlamps so always check on the package for a UV sign with a X over it this will tell you that they are suitable for your stilo's..:)

I've never used the cheaper option of xenon blue bulbs on the stilo before. Only the branded products of Osram and Philips. I'm pretty sure they are always suitable. Just have to be careful when buying unbranded bulbs.

But fact still remains that they're not legal.

How many people have declaired these HID's to insurance? Have you?

Yes as a matter of fact I have, Adrian Flux noted it on their records and never batted an eyelid (or, more importantly, increased my premium).
What makes believe they're illegal if mine were then they could not have passed the MOT?:confused:

Did they fit headlamp washers too? Because if not they are illegal, doesn't matter if your MOT tester didn't pick up on it, I'm sure one day the Police will. And thats grief I could do without.

When I originally ordered my Stilo from Fiat I added Xenon headlights as an option, only the idiots forgot to put it on the paperwork, and they didn't come with headlight washers!
So where exactly did you get this titbit from?:confused:

What makes believe they're illegal if mine were then they could not have passed the MOT?:confused:

You do get some infiour (sp?) tester, and testers only test to what test requires testing.

When I originally ordered my Stilo from Fiat I added Xenon headlights as an option, only the idiots forgot to put it on the paperwork, and they didn't come with headlight washers!
So where exactly did you get this titbit from?:confused:

I was never aware of the Stilo coming with HID's. Reg's state that factory fitted they must have headlamp washers, so its not titbit ;)

Back