Technical headlight bulbs - keep blowing?

Currently reading:
Technical headlight bulbs - keep blowing?

onion soup

for the third time in 12months ive just had to change my bulbs and chaffe my hands to hell in the process

is it usual for bulbs to go this often ?
is there a fix to stop it happening so often as its an absolute dog of a job as im sure you all know

well i have to replace the drivers side dip beam bulb, what bulb is it please.

Oh and my car doesnt tell me that its not working either, not a bleep or nothing??????

for the third time in 12months ive just had to change my bulbs and chaffe my hands to hell in the process

is it usual for bulbs to go this often ?
is there a fix to stop it happening so often as its an absolute dog of a job as im sure you all know

Frequent blown bulbs can be caused by an over charging alternator.

well i have to replace the drivers side dip beam bulb, what bulb is it please.

Oh and my car doesnt tell me that its not working either, not a bleep or nothing??????

Bulb failure unit doesn't warn of blown headlamp bulbs, the designers assumed you would be able to see through the windscreen if a headlamp wasn't working.;)

Dave.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that explains that then, just assumed that it would even though you can see if they are gone lol.

Halfords are changing headlight bulbs for the grand sum of £4-95 each .Dont know if they will do a stilo but its got to be worth a try if it means that someone else will get cut hands and a load of messing about .

I've replaced both sides on Mrs Ffoxys 1.2 with relative ease from under the wheel-arch liners and roadwheels removed, yes the passenger side is tight but even I managed it with my spade like mitts. Yes I cussed a lot but it was cold and wet on both occasions when I did them.

Last edited:
Both my Osram Nightbreakers went at the same time yesterday night. Don't know if its a coincidence or not but the 2 days before, my car was just serviced at Fiat. The lights worked for one night then were KAPUT the next night. I'd of driven home on just sidelights but it wouldn't be wise when i have to drive on some unlight roads... Thank god for fogs! Wrong i know, but i had no other choice.

Anyhow, i've gone back to Phulips Xtreme as i prefered them in the first place. I hope they last better than my first set that went after just 3 months...

I have stilo also and I've had my passenger dipped beam replaced barely 2 months ago and yesterday fog and dipped passenger popped along with drivers dipped beam, today drivers side dipped is back on lol, but passenger fog and dipped still out, takes the mick changing it, I find it easier going through wheel arch, I recon theirs somethin up it eats them like crazy

I have stilo also and I've had my passenger dipped beam replaced barely 2 months ago and yesterday fog and dipped passenger popped along with drivers dipped beam, today drivers side dipped is back on lol, but passenger fog and dipped still out, takes the mick changing it, I find it easier going through wheel arch, I recon theirs somethin up it eats them like crazy

Bulb quality has gone to ****, they are deliberately designed with short life and often fail hours apart. Take a look at the life expectancy of 'nighbreaker unlimited bulbs below this is typical:

Osram Night Breaker Unlimited H7- 1500±10% lumens, life expectancy - B3 150h

Osram Ultralife H7 - 1500 lm ±10 % lumens, life expectancy - B3 700h

Same light output, one fifth of the life expectancy. Unlimited my ass.

I use osram ultra life in all the cars / van now no issues in passat, focus, picasso, ducato, stilo, carina. You get a pair of h1 / h7 for about 9 quid on amazon most of the time.

Last edited:
Back