Technical Headlamp wiring colours

Currently reading:
Technical Headlamp wiring colours

Lord Azrael

Hi, quick question regarding the colours of the wires going to the plug on the back of the headlight unit. I'm just wiring in some additional LED units using the same feeds and need to check the wiring colours as the Haynes manual seems a little vague.
I'm thinking the Grey/Black is the Side Light and the Black/Red appears to be Earth. I just need to confirm which is the Dip beam one.
I can always play with the meter tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone knew off hand... Thanks :)

I do not know it but leaving message just in case you write it tomorrow. which cable belongs to which. More the knowledge, better.

Which construction date and version is your car?

Hi, quick question regarding the colours of the wires going to the plug on the back of the headlight unit. I'm just wiring in some additional LED units using the same feeds and need to check the wiring colours as the Haynes manual seems a little vague.
I'm thinking the Grey/Black is the Side Light and the Black/Red appears to be Earth. I just need to confirm which is the Dip beam one.
I can always play with the meter tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone knew off hand... Thanks :)
Yes I can tell you

But there's more than one possibility

Depending on model and year

The head light unit are even different depending on year

Save me looking at every possible variations

Engine
Year
Model

Hi, thanks for the replies, sorry been out at work. The one I'm currently doing is the 2010 1.3 MultiJet. It's one of 2 wires so will easily ascertain tomorrow if necessary but just wasn't sure looking through the manual as it's not that clear exactly which wires are which on the lamps and the wiring diagram of the indicators is a separate section that doesn't seem to link up to the written details, possibly a typo in my manual....it'll no doubt all be clear in the cold light of the morning! :)

Screenshot_20240503-014738 (2).png

Excellent, many thanks! I've wired everything up on the wife's car now too. We both now have additional LED DRL's and scrolling indicators :)

Sounds cool, which lights did you buy, how easy were you they to fix, and install!
It's these ones from Ebay. They're really not too bad to fit, self adhesive works nicely so not use the optional screws at this point. 3 wires to connect to existing side light, indicator and negative feeds which does require some wiring extensions to be created. I'll pop a vid up later when I get chance. Not to everyone's taste I'm sure, but we like them :) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185515401117

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back