Technical Handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake

johncass

Hi guys my handbrake cable just snapped on my punto I set about replacing but can't get the drum off any ideas?It seems there could be a lip inside the drum and the shoes are snagging it. Is there some kinda self adjuster or something?

Yes you are right there will be a lip caused by a mixture of wear, rust and brake dust. There is no way to back off the adjusters so the only recourse is to lever and tap around the drum with a big hammer to encourage it to come off. Some of these take quite a lot of encouragement.
I don't know if you've done one of these before but it can sometimes be abit of a fiddle to get the shoe and cable back together again but I found that apair of long nose molegrips are essential in putting it all back together and be carefull not to pop out the cylinder pistons as you reassemble...According to the book you can change the cable without removing the drum by accessing thru' thr plug on the backplate, use long nose pliers to compress the return spring to release cable from shoe, remove outer cable from backplate and then withdraw the cable from brake assembly. I've never tried it that way but I think the type and shape of the pliers would be the key to the success or otherwise. One other tip although if the cable is broken this won't apply ensure cable is backed right off the handbrake lever before working at the wheel end.
Hope you get on OK
Peetie

Back