Technical Punto handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical Punto handbrake

Mr Posh

Hi
My daughters punto failed MOT handbrake not working pass side it works but I can just about turn the wheel with handbrake applied
Shoes look ok drums are ok I’ve changed the cable and auto adjuster
But I can just about move the wheel

Drivers side works fine I’ve noticed that the lever behind the brake shoe seem to be jamming on the hub not sure if it’s worth changing the shoes or drum to get it through the MOT ?

Just had another look handlever moves as soon as you adjust the handbrake new auto adjuster but made no difference

Just had another look handlever moves as soon as you adjust the handbrake new auto adjuster but made no difference

I probably made the mistake on my car of adjusting the handbrake to make the brakes have a harder feel while not realising it is normal for the brakes to have plenty of pedal travel with the engine off. And subsequently the handbrake never was any good. I then changed the original shoes after 250,000km and the difference was huge. With the handbrake fully backed off and feeling loose I still get a good solid handbrake in a few clicks.

I also got new adjusters but have never fitted them. I used a file on the original ones on the car so they lock on the ratchet better and touch wood that was one bit of fiddling that has worked so far.

I’ll change the shoes tomorrow see if that makes any difference I’ve checked the drum it looks like the original one so I’ll change that as well

Brake shoes changed I can just about move the wheel I'm not sure how good it has to be to pass MOT

No it just said handbrake inoperative near side
I beginning the think it may be the adjuster when the handbrake is off there is no drag on the brake drum

No it just said handbrake inoperative near side
I beginning the think it may be the adjuster when the handbrake is off there is no drag on the brake drum

Have you checked the cables are working correctly? They should be totally freely sliding up and down when not connected so you can move the handbrake up and down from the drum end with no effort at all.

Have you checked the cables are working correctly? They should be totally freely sliding up and down when not connected so you can move the handbrake up and down from the drum end with no effort at all.

Post #1 says they have changed ' cable and auto adjuster'

Thinking nack to my sons Sei Sporting

We got ripped off.. £500 job on a £400 car..

But they said both wheel cylinders had 'damp seals'

So mew cylinders..shoes.. and bearings

It passed.. with a still not famtastic handbrake :eek:

Thanks for the help I’ll be back at it this afternoon
I’ll post some pics later
When I’ve refitted everything and pump the brake pedal there isn’t any clicking

I have also noticed the isn’t a return spring on the handbrake cable
But there isn’t one on the other side and that’s works fine

When I’ve refitted everything and pump the brake pedal there isn’t any clicking

I think there should be some clicking but I dont think it will make the handbrake work any better. You will just need more handle travel to use the handbrake.

The MOT tester said handbrake inoperative. You have some handbrake now. It does not have to be perfect and it will likely bed in

Last edited:
The handbrake now works so I'll get it in for retest put the old adjuster back it after a clean up and it seems to have done the trick hopefully it will pass
Thanks for all the replys andvhelp I'll update after IRS been for MOT retest

The handbrake now works so I'll get it in for retest put the old adjuster back it after a clean up and it seems to have done the trick hopefully it will pass
Thanks for all the replys andvhelp I'll update after IRS been for MOT retest

I once bought a set of shoes with a faulty adjuster.
Swapped it over and problem sorted.
Lesson. New parts aren't always perfect.....

Got punto booked in for retest tomorrow so fingers crossed handbrake works
Handbrake lever feels a bit tight

Punto failed reading 39 pass side 160 drivers side I’m at a loss now

Back