Technical Punto handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical Punto handbrake

Something is obviously not right here. Just have to figure it out.

My thoughts so far on this problem you have.

For the bad side nearly all parts of the system are using the same braking parts for the handbrake and main brake. The shoe pivot point does not change so the shape of the shoe in the drum does not seem important. Like Varesecrazy said contamination of a shoe would show up for the main brake too.

I think adjuster problems was just a red herring.

The problem must be related to something that only alters the handbrake performance, like a bent cable, wrongly routed cable, or a binding cable. Is the cable having a sudden change of direction as it leaves the cable cover?

As far as I can understand this problem the hand brake lever force is disapearing somewhere on the bad side.

Thanks for your input I’m thinking it’s the adjuster when then handbrake is in the release position the lever at the back of the shoe is not in the rest position ie the little lug on the lever is not sitting on the shoe edge so consequently as the handbrake is applied the lever doesn’t have enough travel before it jams on the hub

I’m also beginning to wonder about the lack of a spring on the handbrake cable end there’s not one on the drivers side every photo I’ve seen the cable has a spring on the end

On my car there is a protective spring for the cable between the entry point of the cable into the back plate and the shoe lever. Potentially without it you would have some rubbing, but i dont think it is mission critical. It is not a return spring. Just a weak thing.

But this rubbing on the hub seems something. I can now see what you are saying about the adjusters. How backed off are your shoes when fully adjusted? Are you still getting totally no contact on the shoes? The shoes should be so close to the drum it is difficult to get the drum off without binding on the shoes.

Do you have ABS? I can take my wheel off and do some comparison photos if it will help. I have a 1.2 16V 2004 car with ABS.

ABS shoes are different. Not sure if you could fit the wrong shoes but it seems unlikely that could be possible.

Some good photos of where the lever contacts the hub showing the whole drum and the other side where it does not contact the hub should be interesting to look at

Last edited:
I did a more adjustment this morning drove it down the road the wheel locks up now when the handbrake is applied no chance of turning by hand either I’m not sure how much more handbrake effort is required

Punto passed MOT handbrake fine now
If this happens on anyone else's car check and recheck the auto adjusters before changing anything
Thanks for all your imput

Back