Technical Handbrake

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake

My car is only 1 year old (58) I only bought the car in June, but since I've had the car everytime I find the biting point reversing or going forward the car always moves with the full handbrake on. Anyone had the same problem? Taking it to Fiat garage soon.

My car is only 1 year old (58) I only bought the car in June, but since I've had the car everytime I find the biting point reversing or going forward the car always moves with the full handbrake on. Anyone had the same problem? Taking it to Fiat garage soon.

is it a pre-registered car?

because i had this with mine from new (handbrake didnt hold till 8 clicks when apparently the norm is 4)

Yes its pre-registered

in which case it has been sitting with the handbrake on before you got it so the cable has probably stretched. just get it adjusted and shouldnt be a problem.

i have this i have also noticed whenever the car goes in for service/ warranty work they tighten up the handbrake apparently there is a tightener under the cup holder in the middle T will need to confirm this though

pull the plastic out and have a look lol. its a dirt trap as well btw.

I'll deffinatley be taking it to a fiat garage anyway to get it checked out, as my suspension is making a racket already too but thats probably because the roads in Rotherham are awful!!!!

in which case it has been sitting with the handbrake on before you got it so the cable has probably stretched. just get it adjusted and shouldnt be a problem.

if it was pre registered it is less likely that it was sat with the handbrake on all the time as it has been registered to a dealer so will therefore have been moved around. Alot of new cars are sat around before they are delivered aswell.

I have this too. I cant even park all the way on my drive because its too steep, and it just rolls, even in gear! Let me know what they do with it.....

Maybe it's just fiat giving out dodgey handbrakes haha. My old drive was quite steep I always had to give my handbrake a really big tug!

Carl...New cars are not stored indoors for long periods of time. They are designed to spend all their lives out in the elements so whats the need? Yours (your Mums) will have sat outside on a parking lot in the open from the day it was delivered to the dealer until your Mum bought it and it was taken inside to be prepped. The salesman will tell you it was under cover for 3 reasons.

1) People dont like the idea of it being stored outside in the open.
2) Its what you want to hear and.........
3) Because he thinks you are gulliable enough to believe him.

I lived there for 2 years. I can assure you they dont lol

No car dealer/manufacturer has indoor car storage(apart from the actual dealership) as they will get absolutely raped on business rates for the size needed.

in which case i was tolfd a load of bs by the manager of arnold clark in oldbury. oh well makes no difference to me tbh.

Carl...New cars are not stored indoors for long periods of time. They are designed to spend all their lives out in the elements so whats the need? Yours (your Mums) will have sat outside on a parking lot in the open from the day it was delivered to the dealer until your Mum bought it and it was taken inside to be prepped. The salesman will tell you it was under cover for 3 reasons.

1) People dont like the idea of it being stored outside in the open.
2) Its what you want to hear and.........
3) Because he thinks you are gulliable enough to believe him.

tbh i dont give a rats arse where it was stored had 4 miles on the clock and havent had a single problem bar glovebox and headlining and the afore mentioned handbrake.

and beeofre you proceed to ram some other info down my throat or to **** on my chips further. ive admitted i was wrong and can only go by what ive been told.

Last edited:
Oldbury does have a huge showroom TBH, some garages are indoors though infact theres a 3 story one in Glasgow thats largest in Europe.

apparently there is a tightener under the cup holder in the middle T will need to confirm this though

Yep, 10mm 1/4" deep socket prefably needed or spanner (ratchet type quickest)
to adjust.

I cant even park all the way on my drive because its too steep, and it just rolls, even in gear!

you live on a cliff face:confused:

Back