Technical Handbrake problem

Currently reading:
Technical Handbrake problem

Johno2274

My 09 punto is in for its test the end of the month problem is the handbrake doesn't work when I pull it up while driving but for some reason when I stop even on a hill an pull it up it will work I've had it checked was told it was OK problem it in the test centre they test it on a rolling road any help would be appreciated

My 09 punto is in for its test the end of the month problem is the handbrake doesn't work when I pull it up while driving but for some reason when I stop even on a hill an pull it up it will work I've had it checked was told it was OK problem it in the test centre they test it on a rolling road any help would be appreciated
On my daughters 06 Grande Punto the handbrake cables were the main problem , they crack the outer and then the inner cable sticks so the effort when you pull the lever is wasted before it gets to the brake drum if you know what I mean.
You may be able you visually see the cracking damage often near a fixing point. It may just be one cable faulty but it makes good sense to do both at the same time.
Obviously this is assuming everything is good inside the brake drum, nothing worn, plenty of clean brake material on the brake shoes, nothing seized and no dust, etc.
By memory the cables have to be fitted to the brake lever inside the brake drum, so when that is done I normally manually adjust the automatic adjusters, so the brakes are as good as possible but not binding at all by pressing the brake pedal and pulling the handbrake on and off several times. When I know that is all good only then will I adjust the slack in the handbrake cable it's self to get a good handbrake feel with only a little travel before it starts to work, but and this is crucial it must not bind or drag on the brakes so test several times.

My 1st Grande was a old and high mile example.. brakes were OK.. no better

But got an MOT advisory about handbrake

So I pulled the drum off..all dry and halfworn

So cleaned and adjusted, no vast improvement ( by feel) but pedal travel was better as shoes were now in close company

Bit the bullet.. @£40 for the 2 new cables

MASSIVE difference..!!

On my next GP.. I just slackened it all off and lubed the cables.. pulling 150mm - 6 inches through back and forth

Less messy and a fair improvement (y)

Ask if you want tips..
Pics are available.. found Youtube a bit lacking.. :)

How many clicks at the minute..??

Back