Had new hub installed, now printer won't work!

Currently reading:
Had new hub installed, now printer won't work!

Hi folks. Having just got my network running smoothly a few weeks ago, I had to have a new modem today from Virgin. So instead of a modem and separate router, I now have 1 combined unit that does both jobs. Great!
Unfortunately my network printer is showing as off-line and I don't know how to get it on line without blundering about and changing everything.
It is permanently wired to the router by network cable, and it is set to static ip.
Is there a simple way to get it back on-line?
Thanks in advance . I have wasted 3 hours already today on this :eek:

I tried that and it still said the printer is off-line. It works fine with a USB cable plugged in, but that's no good if I want to print from a laptop downstairs and the printer's upstairs!

What's the full IP addresses and subnet mask your using?

Mine is 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

I have a feeling that your new router is giving out ip addresses from DHCP which are on a different subnet to what you used to use which means any requests from your computer / laptop are unroutable to the printer.

Need a bit more than that. If it's 192.168.1.50 and the PC's are on 192.168.0.xxx then they might not see it. I'm sure the last time we went through this we advise you to set the printer to DHCP assigned, so the router would provide it with an IP address and it would just work.

If you type "ping 192.168.0.6" into your dos window do you get a reply?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 118
a guess, sure chris will change my way,
2 ways to me, change ip address of printer by going to http://192.168.0.6 and setting it same as old one may work
or, on windows7 click, devices and pritners, add printer, network wirless, bluetooth

or go to device list printer properties, ports, configure port n put 192.168.0.6 in over current one,

is what id do but, some people have better ways

I think I have figured out what's happening, but i don't know how to fix it.
When I had the problem before, I has somebody out to look at a PC problem, so at the same time I got him to set the printer on a static ip address, which was 192.168.1.50. But when I have just managed to connect to the printer via a usb cable it is showing 192.168.0.6 as its address. So, the various computers have got a port set up to use 192.1.50, but the printer has moved itself to 06.

so go to http://192.168.0.6 and post a screenshot.
its an option somtimes in the printer settings
what printer is it?
this one is our laser printer, newer ones are easier i believe.
It is a printer that is 2 years old, so not too ancient.
OI think I have found out how to change the ip address. You have to log in to it, but helpfully Samsung didn't provide a username or password!. I have just found it on the internet.

Back