General Grande Punto drives with handbrake fully up

Currently reading:
General Grande Punto drives with handbrake fully up

tahmid

Hey folks,

I'm looking to buy a used Fiat Grande Punto 2006 - 2008. I went to view some cars that I found on AutoTrader and got to test drive them.

However, on both cars that I test drove, I noticed that if I fully apply the handbrake and then attempt to move off as normal (with about 2000 revs + lift the clutch up) the car still moves and drives off as normal. I found it quite strange that the car drove off without stalling.

On my Vauxhall Corsa D (2008) if the handbrake is up and I attempt to move off the car stalls.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Edit: The Puntos that I test drove were relatively high mileage (75,000+ miles)

Last edited:
GP handbrakes are not good if they haven't been looked after. The cables rust internally when the plastic cover breaks down (usually a foot or so in front of the rear brakes); the brake shoes wear and need adjusting; the cables stretch and need adjusting (at the handbrake end).

When they are fully sorted they're fine. If not you can struggle to get through the MOT!

Thanks guys.

One of the sellers tried to justify the car moving with the handbrake engaged by saying "these cars have very powerful engines, so when you apply some gas and try move off, of course the car will move even with the handbrake on because the handbrake is not to meant to stop a moving car, it is only meant to hold the car when it is stopped.". Or something along those lines.

I knew something was up because firstly the engine is not that powerful at all, it is only a 1.2 liter that produces around 65bhp and my Corsa which has a 1.4 @ 90bhp (a slightly more powerful engine) does not allow me to drive it with the handbrake engaged.

Last edited:
Haha a couple of good excuses there. The handbrake is the emergency brake though of course nothing like as effective as the foot brake.

However a properly sorted GP handbrake is fine

My advice is to walk away from these cars. Apart from inaccurate/ignorant information given, this is the type of owner who tends to skip/neglect on servicing & other things. Who knows what other gremlins lurk in these vehicles.
One way to catch these jokers out is to as for an AA or the likes inspection & if it passes with flying colours, you pay the fee. Rarely do they take this invitation. It's a buyers market out there, keep looking, something will turn up.

Back