Technical Grande Punto = Corsa D?

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto = Corsa D?

FrankFiat

Hello All , new to the forum and hoping someone can offer advice. My son has a 2008 Grande punto and the front right spring is broken so thought i'd replace the complete struts [both] but have trouble finding them in the uk complete.I have found complete Corsa D struts for a v reasonable price on eBay and wanted to check if they are the same as Grande Punto and will fit as I understand it has the same underpinnings?All help/advice much appreciated.

Hello All , new to the forum and hoping someone can offer advice. My son has a 2008 Grande punto and the front right spring is broken so thought i'd replace the complete struts [both] but have trouble finding them in the uk complete.I have found complete Corsa D struts for a v reasonable price on eBay and wanted to check if they are the same as Grande Punto and will fit as I understand it has the same underpinnings?All help/advice much appreciated.

Hi

I have had 4 of the 199 punto.. And didn't get far with either the Vauxhall or Alfa Romeo crossovers

I bought my parts via shop4parts

Apparently there are at least 3 options

Tip,
S4p. Usually quote the Fiat part number.. I always double check by searching that part number elsewhere

S4p ship very quickly.. Often arriving next day

I needed them after an MOT issue.. So didn't use the forums Discount code (would have missed the shipping cut. Off the day I called them)

Hello, thanks for the shop4parts info. I checked the site and sadly they don't seem to do the complete strut . For ease and lack of tools I was going to get complete struts and get a local garage to fit as they quoted £180 if fitting complete struts as it's a bit quicker! So just to confirm is it unwise to fit the corsa struts as though same shock absorber,top mount etc. I presume the springs could be a different rate?

Hello, thanks for the shop4parts info. I checked the site and sadly they don't seem to do the complete strut . For ease and lack of tools I was going to get complete struts and get a local garage to fit as they quoted £180 if fitting complete struts as it's a bit quicker! So just to confirm is it unwise to fit the corsa struts as though same shock absorber,top mount etc. I presume the springs could be a different rate?
If your parts cross reference says they are not the same parts..
Then probably unwise

You need to get the right parts for the car, yes the corsa and the Punto used the same platform but the components are not interchangeable.

A car “platform” is just a series of measurements used to be able to make parts to a pattern, so while the whole strut with the lower arm and roll bar from a corsa may physically fit the body of a Punto, they will not be the same parts, the corsa used a different engine, which will be a different weight the car’s handling would have been tuned differently therefore the corsa parts will be different from what was fitted to even seemingly identical spec puntos. You need to get the right parts for the car, mixing and matching could leave the car dangerous to drive

Many thanks for all your advice ,i'll get complete Punto struts from "onlinecarparts.co.uk" - I think it's based in Germany and not risk doing an ebay cheap bodge!

If you are happy to take the old strut off, why don't you take the strut to a small garage and get them to fit your new spring and top mount bearing.
I would have thought most would be happy to charge you, an hours minimum labour charge should easily cover that.
Given the amount of speed bumps, these days springs are always being replaced.

Back