Technical Grande Punto 2009 GP 1.4 16v Dipstick

Currently reading:
Technical Grande Punto 2009 GP 1.4 16v Dipstick

Jamie0691

Hi all, recently picked up a Grande Punto GP model. When getting it from the garage it didn’t have a dipstick, I have read it’s common for them to snap. They have replaced it, but I have also read that there are varying lengths of dipstick.

When checking the oil it seems to be very low, but before topping up want to make sure the dipstick is the right length. I checked epar and found the replacement part number and checked with dealers this was right for the car, but they couldn’t say what the length should be.

Could someone with a GP possibly measure the length of the metal part of the dipstick?

Also does the Punto have a low oil level warning light?

Cheers

Hi all, recently picked up a Grande Punto GP model.

Could someone with a GP possibly measure the length of the metal part of the dipstick?

Also does the Punto have a low oil level warning light?

Cheers

A sensor is unlikely.. you will just get the oil light flickering if its too low to pick.up and pump reliably :eek:

Last edited:
A sensor is unlikely.. you will just get the oil light flickering if its too low to pick.up and pump reliably :eek:
By which time, lots of damage will have been done.

For the best response to your query, you might like to state exactly which engine you have, and the year. Engine number from your V5 might help, as it will show if any helper's engine is close.
(Edit: Oops! Just noticed title again, where much of this detail is. So just 8v or 16v?)

Also, measure the length of the dipstick tube, from top to its entry into the block. This will have an effect on dipstick length of course.
Dipstick needs to be measured from its face where it contacts the tube, down to the max and min marks, so two measurements. Overall length, less important.

Could also measure the depth of the sump, from mounting face to bottom, to ensure sump capacity is same as any comparison.

(So many variables, just for a dipstick)

Another option. Drain the oil. Refill with exactly the correct amount, and then see where it sits on the dipstick.

Last edited:
Pugglt Auld Jock might be able to provide a measurement :)
I'd be happy to, but just to say my boy's car is a 2012 1.4 Easy with the 1.4 VVT engine. Don't know if there would be a difference between that and a Grand Punto - I didn't know there were varying lengths of dipstick? is this for the same engine or for all the different engines used in the Puntos? Or maybe there are different dipstick tubes used in different applications? I think the sumps, steel ones anyway, are all the same? Although I have seen similar looking sumps but with different sized holes for the fixings (flange that mates to the bottom of the block)

Anyway let me know. We will be at No 2 son's house doing childminding next Tuesday so I could detour round by No 1 son's house on our way back into the city that evening. PM me if you prefer.

Last edited:
Another option. Drain the oil. Refill with exactly the correct amount, and then see where it sits on the dipstick.

I like that idea Charlie. If you didn't want to actually change the oil you could drain it into a clean container, add (or subtract if necessary?) some new oil to get the correct volume and put it back in. Then you've definitively got the correct level. Check to see if there's a difference between a "dry" fill and a "service" fill and whether the amount quoted includes oil filter or not. When I substituted a Tecumseh engine for the Original in my lawnmower it had no dipstick and this is exactly what I did to get the level right so I could make a dipstick for it.

I bet someone on here would know?

I just had a quick look in my Haynes manuals as I remembered it quoted both figures for Felicity, our old 1992 Panda - From dry 3.88 litres and oil change with filter 3.75 - so i had a look in both our newer panda and Punto manuals but they just state - for the Punto "engine oil (with filter) SOHC 8v engines 2.6 litres and Engine oil (with filter) DOHC (with filter 2.9 litres" so I'd guess those are service refills? The newer Panda manual shows (again stated as "engine oil with filter" 1.1 Litre engines 3.5 litres and 1.2 litre engines 2.8 litres.

Not sure if that helps much but it looks to me very likely that the sumps on the later 8 valve engines are the same? which would tie in with the ones I've seen in the factors. The only difference being in the diameter of the fixing holes?

Last edited:
Op has a 2009 1.4 :)
Doh! thanks Charlie, it's in the heading isn't it! Unfortunately I don't know definitively if there would be a difference between that and my boy's car. Offer to measure still stands though, just let me know Jamie. Whereabouts in the country are you Jamie? anywhere near? could be easier to just meet up and compare the two sticks? If not near me maybe there's someone else near you with a similar spec car who could do this?

Hi all, many thanks for the replies :) So the engine code on the V5 is BXG1B with a variant of 14C.

I am based in the north tyneside area :)

I don't have the tools (or knowledge) to do an oil change, I have emailed the dealers and check that if they order the part in can I return if its not used.

Hopefully someone can do something with that. I was expecting an engine number, with 6-8 numerical digits.

The engine number is down as 1432865, does that help? That is off the V5, I can look on the car as well if needed.

I had the same issue a while back where mine snapped. I suspected it happened whilst it was in the garage having a service but I didn't notice for a while so couldn't be sure.

Any way, I found the 1.4 16v (Starjet) engine has a longer dipstick than the 8v, as I bought one of those and it didn't reach far enough to register any oil (and I knew it had a good amount in). I managed to get a dipstick off eBay by contacting someone breaking a GP with 1.4 16v engine. But the easiest solution is probably to call up your local dealer and order one in, and they should take your number plate or VIN to look up the correct part.

You could also try shop4parts.co.uk or fiatworkshop.co.uk, both have good online service and should be able to source it even if they don't list it on their website

Assuming your engine is the same as mine (1.4 16v but NOT the T-Jet/turbo model) then part number is 55206822

I had the same issue a while back where mine snapped. I suspected it happened whilst it was in the garage having a service but I didn't notice for a while so couldn't be sure.

Any way, I found the 1.4 16v (Starjet) engine has a longer dipstick than the 8v, as I bought one of those and it didn't reach far enough to register any oil (and I knew it had a good amount in). I managed to get a dipstick off eBay by contacting someone breaking a GP with 1.4 16v engine. But the easiest solution is probably to call up your local dealer and order one in, and they should take your number plate or VIN to look up the correct part.

You could also try shop4parts.co.uk or fiatworkshop.co.uk, both have good online service and should be able to source it even if they don't list it on their website

Assuming your engine is the same as mine (1.4 16v but NOT the T-Jet/turbo model) then part number is 55206822

Hi mate, I have already had it confirmed that part number is the right one for my car by the dealer. They have quoted £35 to replace, the garage I bought the car off replaced the dipstick but like you said its not registering any oil. It might of been your thread that I read :eek: which took me down the rabbit hole of different size dipsticks.

If yours is the 1.4 16V any chance of measuring the dipstick, then I can compare with what I have been given by the garage (not a Fiat dealer) and then order the correct one if needed from the dealer. That is if you still have the car?

Hi mate, I have already had it confirmed that part number is the right one for my car by the dealer. They have quoted £35 to replace, the garage I bought the car off replaced the dipstick but like you said its not registering any oil. It might of been your thread that I read :eek: which took me down the rabbit hole of different size dipsticks.

If yours is the 1.4 16V any chance of measuring the dipstick, then I can compare with what I have been given by the garage (not a Fiat dealer) and then order the correct one if needed from the dealer. That is if you still have the car?

ok just had a look at mine for ya, it's 56cm long (metal part only, not including the plastic bit). The plastic handle on mine is white, if that helps.

I think the other (wrong) one i picked up before off a 8v was blue, or red?

I can measure the 1.4 16v I'my Tipo if you want tomorrow this is a lot newer engine
But Possibly the same
What volume of oil does it show in your handbook for the engine?

Thank you for the offer, but think it will be a different engine.

ok just had a look at mine for ya, it's 56cm long (metal part only, not including the plastic bit). The plastic handle on mine is white, if that helps.

I think the other (wrong) one i picked up before off a 8v was blue, or red?

Thanks for measuring it, looks like I have the correct one, but on closer inspection, it seems the dipstick doesn't go in all the way. It feels resistance, so seems like something might be in the sump :confused. Does yours look like this at the end, no min and max markers? Pictures below.

https://ibb.co/4mFrrwC
https://ibb.co/jZrBYDm

Thanks for measuring it, looks like I have the correct one, but on closer inspection, it seems the dipstick doesn't go in all the way. It feels resistance, so seems like something might be in the sump :confused. Does yours look like this at the end, no min and max markers? Pictures below.

https://ibb.co/4mFrrwC
https://ibb.co/jZrBYDm

Mine's a bit different to that. The crosshatched section on the end is longer, and mine does push in all the way so does sound like yours is either too wide to fit all the way, or is getting stuck on something.

I didn't take a picture of mine, but it is the same as this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124076590958
and https://www.fiatworkshop.co.uk/images/55228386-4751-1-800.jpg

maybe what you have is one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112208309528

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Mine's a bit different to that. The crosshatched section on the end is longer, and mine does push in all the way so does sound like yours is either too wide to fit all the way, or is getting stuck on something.

I didn't take a picture of mine, but it is the same as this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124076590958
and https://www.fiatworkshop.co.uk/images/55228386-4751-1-800.jpg

maybe what you have is one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112208309528

Cheers, think for peace of mind I will order one from the dealers and then try that. If still have problems will take it back to the garage.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back