Technical GP SPORTING 1.9jtd TUNING

Currently reading:
Technical GP SPORTING 1.9jtd TUNING

Thanks for that Graham..

Now im really really interested, just need 2 stop drinking every weekend and spend it on the Beast... So 190bhp you guys quote???? Is that usable power or a power spike in the rev range?? also do you have a dyno test sheet to show the power on the rev-range...

Thanks

J.T

I would be more concerned with torque figures in a common rail diesel than bhp.

I wouldn't trust a quoted figure. Get it RR'd yourself, every engine is different.

Re: Celtic Tuning

No me but we can show you on the rolling road what can be done. Next Sunday one is this weekend in Watford.

where in watford?
ive had a remap done to mine to get 170bhp and 262lb ft torque. would i notice the extra 20bhp and extra torque increase

would this affect parts on the motor, like clutch for example

Re: Celtic Tuning

where in watford?
ive had a remap done to mine to get 170bhp and 262lb ft torque. would i notice the extra 20bhp and extra torque increase

would this affect parts on the motor, like clutch for example

At Red Dot, Imperial Way. It is all in the thread RR day at Watford on the 25th of November in the events section (sorry I am no good in getting lionks in the post).

The clutch should not wear out much faster as they are designed for more torque. Some might want to attack me on this, but this is what we got from Fiat development and does not grow on our own wisdom. Clutch wear also greatly depends on how the clutch is operated.

I would be more concerned with torque figures in a common rail diesel than bhp.

Why is this Kris?
I would have thought most people who remap their cars are after increased performance, which I thought was more related to bhp than torque?

Cheers... (y)

Torque is hard to explain, so I'll let oldschool explain it better if he reads this post. When you drive a Turbo diesel you get more of a feeling of being pushed into your seat, well thats how more torque feels. Torque is related to how the power is delievered, whereas bhp is how much power the engine is producing.

The torque is what will put more strain on your clutch rather than bhp. I could have a 200bhp GP with 230 ft lb torque. But a 180bhp GP with 260 ft lb torque will be faster.

I'm sure oldschool will elaborate on this or correct me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The torque is what will put more strain on your clutch rather than bhp. I could have a 200bhp GP with 230 ft lb torque. But a 180bhp GP with 260 ft lb torque will be faster.

I'm sure oldschool will elaborate on this or correct me.

That would suprise me...my money in a drag would be on the one with the extra 20bhp.

I'll look forward to oldschools comments....

my interpretation of torque in a diesel is like instant power without changing gear up or down my gp pulls from say 80 mph -120 mph in seconds its scary at times even the corsa vxr which was behind me at the time was left back a bit"surprised i think" its just a constant boost of energy and effortless in the process.torque in my car is around 265lb with bhp at around 165-170 bhp.ideally instead of a rev counter in diesels they should a torque meter it would make more interesting:)

That would suprise me...my money in a drag would be on the one with the extra 20bhp.

Torque is what counts more in turbo diesel, torque is also alot higher in turbo petrols.

my car is around 265lb with bhp at around 165-170 bhp.

Mine is 253 ft lb torque with 177bhp, even though my bhp is higher, I imagine jassyo being as fast or faster than me.

When you put a big bore exhaust on a car, you will most likely see a higher peak power figure, which comes in much later, but the torque will go down. The people usually claim that they have lost power.

BHP = torque x rpm/5252.

This means high torque at low revs mean also high bhp at low revs.

Torque is in simple terms the rotational force that acclerates the car.

In simple terms power is the work done.

When you put a big bore exhaust on a car, you will most likely see a higher peak power figure, which comes in much later, but the torque will go down. The people usually claim that they have lost power.

BHP = torque x rpm/5252.

This means high torque at low revs mean also high bhp at low revs.

Torque is in simple terms the rotational force that acclerates the car.

In simple terms power is the work done.

Ok....

So for a performance remap would Sharkriders high torque and modest bhp improvement be faster (acceleration wise) than Puntokiris higher bhp lower torque remap?

Cheers....

Shropshire_lad: I told you.

Sorry I still don't buy the more torque = faster car, even with the equation...

I compared your car with sharkriders...you have 20 more bhp he has 20lbs feet more torque...My money would still be on your car with the 20 extra bhp in a race...he might have better mpg with the extra torque but he would not be faster imo.

If torque was all that, diesel would destroy petrol everytime...and that just don't happen.

Sorry I still don't buy the more torque = faster car, even with the equation...

I compared your car with sharkriders...you have 20 more bhp he has 20lbs feet more torque...My money would still be on your car with the 20 extra bhp in a race...he might have better mpg with the extra torque but he would not be faster imo.

If torque was all that, diesel would destroy petrol everytime...and that just don't happen.

And where are you getting this knowledge from? You are trying to argue simple fact by using your own opinion, find me a source that proves me and oldschool otherwise.

Bear in mind you asked the question in the first place thus showing your little knowledge anyway.

Also bear in mind Peter (oldschool) is probably the most knowledgeable tuning member on this forum, and considering he has his own proven tuning company, I don't think your opinion counts for alot.

Diesels deliver power differently to petrols, we're not lying to you, what would we gain from that?

very soon, that is going to be happening.

Oldschool has explained why torque is more important... he knows his stuff and actually does re-maps.

if you get yours remapped to 303lb ft of torque it is going to be an immensely fast car and its going to have more power than a bmw 325d :eek:

And where are you getting this knowledge from? You are trying to argue simple fact by using your own opinion, find me a source that proves me and oldschool otherwise.

Bear in mind you asked the question in the first place thus showing your little knowledge anyway.

Also bear in mind Peter (oldschool) is probably the most knowledgeable tuning member on this forum, and considering he has his own proven tuning company, I don't think your opinion counts for alot.

Diesels deliver power differently to petrols, we're not lying to you, what would we gain from that?

I admit I'm no expert at all...I'm just suprised that a car like sharkriders would beat your's with 20 less bhp even though it has 20lbs feet more torque.

You have also provided me no worthy evidence, so shut up and leave it to people like oldschool to explain. I like to learn, but only off people that have knowledge, not muppet's like you.

You have also provided me no worthy evidence, so shut up and leave it to people like oldschool to explain. I like to learn, but only off people that have knowledge, not muppet's like you.

Erm, u mean muppets that were right and are respected members of the forum, who have shown their nouse many-a-time already.

You've shown a typical childish reaction to being proven wrong.

No offence meant :D

Tom

Last edited:
Back