Technical GP SPORTING 1.9jtd TUNING

Currently reading:
Technical GP SPORTING 1.9jtd TUNING

I thought it was agreed that Torque was king when it came to increasing performance in a diesel engine…

If this is the case surely Angel’s remap of Sharkrider’s GPS at 270+lb/f for example would be quicker than Puntokris’ Red Dot tune of 253lb/f.

:confused:

I thought it was agreed that Torque was king when it came to increasing performance in a diesel engine…

If this is the case surely Angel’s remap of Sharkrider’s GPS at 270+lb/f for example would be quicker than Puntokris’ Red Dot tune of 253lb/f.

:confused:

Correct, oldschool has pointed out how limiting power to 170bhp is a load of crap being that the engine itself can take well over 170bhp BUT torque is the factor that should be limited to eliminate premature clutch death.

Unless you drive like an idiot all the while & release the clutch at 2000+RPM, the GPS clutch is good for at least 200bhp. For over 20 years manufacturers have built components (Crankshaft, Camshaft, Cambelt etc. etc.) to withstand the manufactured bhp/nm output +50%. - That is why they offer a 36 month+ warranty on a new car.

I have run a (runaround) GPS 130 tuned to 177bhp for a year now. Not a single problem (certainly no clutch problems!). We have another 2 cars, one of which has been re-mapped from 200 to 290bhp (Turbo-diesel) & neither has shown any sign of clutch slip in 12 months. I rest my case.:)

So what is the safe limit for torque?

If you are askin Kris it will be 253lb/foot lol! :D

hahaha... I'm sure his more honest than that!! :)

I'd love to say 253 ;)
Being honest it's difficult to say unless you have tested the GPS to breaking point, different cars have different clutch strengths and yes anybody can break the clutch on a standard car by driving like an idiot. Testing conditions need to be gauged on good driving over a period of time. We'll just wait for the 'my clutch is f*kd' thread. ;)

Unless you drive like an idiot all the while & release the clutch at 2000+RPM, the GPS clutch is good for at least 200bhp. For over 20 years manufacturers have built components (Crankshaft, Camshaft, Cambelt etc. etc.) to withstand the manufactured bhp/nm output +50%. - That is why they offer a 36 month+ warranty on a new car.

I have run a (runaround) GPS 130 tuned to 177bhp for a year now. Not a single problem (certainly no clutch problems!). We have another 2 cars, one of which has been re-mapped from 200 to 290bhp (Turbo-diesel) & neither has shown any sign of clutch slip in 12 months. I rest my case.:)

Agreed but some cars have weaker clutches than others, for example remapped mk2 punto jtds were having clutches going after 6 month periods and some even less than that.

Back