General GP Sporting 1.6 Diesel?!

Currently reading:
General GP Sporting 1.6 Diesel?!

Nope - an S1.

S2 just comes with cruise control and Blue and Me as standard - plus of course the sexier new alloys (for £200 extra) :(

I got Blue and Me anyhow but no Cruise control, Post above your says the black alloys are optional... I could fit them on my trusty pokey reliable S1 1.9! :D

Post above your says the black alloys are optional... I could fit them on my trusty pokey reliable S1 1.9! :D
True - but I'm not going to spend ~1k (guessing) on a set of S2 two-tone alloys ;)

Agree totally...

I wouldnt spend the extra money on an S2 either when there are some cracking deals around on the S1 1.9's.

I wouldnt spend the extra money on an S2 either when there are some cracking deals around on the S1 1.9's.
Well I'd be getting the S2 for 11k with the optional alloys, climate control, tints and Exotica Solid Paint.

The Pre-reg S1 is listed at 11k, but I'd be able to get them down to 10k I'd imagine. Only problem is that it's completely standard - no options.

Buying an S1 on an 08 plate now will affect your resale value massively because people will want S2 versions on 08/58 when it comes to buying 2nd hand so yours will be worth less.

Buying an S1 on an 08 plate now will affect your resale value massively because people will want S2 versions on 08/58 when it comes to buying 2nd hand so yours will be worth less.

Not so if you get the S1 for the right price.

Get this, I got my 56 plate 1.9 with 1,500 miles on it 18 months ago for £9,500. Steal, Bargain.... couldnt be refused. Hasnt let me down, does all I want it to, and I'm keepin it while this recession stuff is going on.

Resale values are pretty hard to predict now, who knows who will be buying cars of what type in the coming 3 to 5 years, by then mine will be too old to worry about re-sale value.

You're saying exactly what my common sense is telling me...

If I've decided to get a GPS, then the newest version is the sensible choice to go for - even if I won't be able to extract the same performance out of it.

If it's the same engine as what's in the Bravo, then it comes with a standard 221 lb ft of torque, but only 120hp. I just wonder what expectations I should have if/when a remap becomes available? Ballpark figures of 25% are often thrown about, which would put it around the 150hp figure - but with an already high torque figure - could this cause problems I wonder?

If I had another car in mind, then I'd cancel the order and go for that. However, there really is nothing else that stands out for me - apart from a Leon FR TDI, which would cost a fair few extra grand...

You're saying exactly what my common sense is telling me...

If I've decided to get a GPS, then the newest version is the sensible choice to go for - even if I won't be able to extract the same performance out of it.

If it's the same engine as what's in the Bravo, then it comes with a standard 221 lb ft of torque, but only 120hp. I just wonder what expectations I should have if/when a remap becomes available? Ballpark figures of 25% are often thrown about, which would put it around the 150hp figure - but with an already high torque figure - could this cause problems I wonder?

If I had another car in mind, then I'd cancel the order and go for that. However, there really is nothing else that stands out for me - apart from a Leon FR TDI, which would cost a fair few extra grand...

Age old discussion, at the end of the day its your choice, your car, your preference. People on here (me included) will only make your choice harder. When I bought mine I hadnt heard of this Forum, glad I found it tho! Just go for whatever your head tells you (although with Fiats the heart usually shouts louder!)

A few of my colleagues run Leon FR's as company cars. Not one would have another one... Think of the build quality of a Fiat, but with none of its 'brio' The TFSI engine is a stormer tho, the TDI 170 with the pumpe duse tech is a bit of a tractor, but nippy nonetheless.

Just go for whatever your head tells you (although with Fiats the heart usually shouts louder!)
I know all about the Fiat love - I had a Stilo Abarth prior to me ordering the GPS ;)

A few of my colleagues run Leon FR's as company cars. Not one would have another one... Think of the build quality of a Fiat, but with none of its 'brio' The TFSI engine is a stormer tho, the TDI 170 with the pumpe duse tech is a bit of a tractor, but nippy nonetheless.
Test drove three FR TDI's and was impressed with the performance and pointy steering (especially compared to my understeering beast I had previously). Eventually decided on the GPS, as I could get a brand spanking new one for 3k cheaper than a second hand FR, plus was expecting a remap to take it to roughly the same performance territory.

There really is nothing in the same price bracket as a GPS that I would consider buying - so if I decide to cancel, it will be a case of spending at least 3-4k more on something else... :(

For me i would stick with the S2 1.6 diesel. Its a lighter engine so yeah it maybe wont get as much power as the 1.9 but its going to corner better because it has less weight over the wheels. With the way that the cost of motoring is going at the moment when you do come to sell it people are going to want to choose a 1.6 over a 1.9 as they will see it as more economic and then you have the cheap tax aswell on the 1.6

For me i would stick with the S2 1.6 diesel. Its a lighter engine so yeah it maybe wont get as much power as the 1.9 but its going to corner better because it has less weight over the wheels. With the way that the cost of motoring is going at the moment when you do come to sell it people are going to want to choose a 1.6 over a 1.9 as they will see it as more economic and then you have the cheap tax aswell on the 1.6

Good point i would chose the 1.6 also

Back