Technical GP Horn

Currently reading:
Technical GP Horn

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, couldnt decide if it was technically tecnical. Anyway, what does everyone make of the standard horn. I couldnt stick it in the end, sounds way too poncy for my liking. It is now sporting a nice set of twin horns taken from a Range Rover Sport, sounds like a horn should sound now (y) .

Rich

Spot on RichC did you have to fit a relay? Thinking of some good ole Italian air horns meself!!! Dont want an "excuse me" horn I want a "get the f**k outa the way hoot!!! :devil: :D :D

Spot on RichC did you have to fit a relay? Thinking of some good ole Italian air horns meself!!! Dont want an "excuse me" horn I want a "get the f**k outa the way hoot!!! :devil: :D :D

ha my friend fitted air horns to his pug 306..put the horns facing upwards so they fitted in the bumper, they filled with water as soon as it rained and now they dont work:nutter: ha

DOH! (n) I bet your mate doesnt put shelves up straight either! :bang: Air horns obviously need to face down :p , didnt he think first? Lmao well I bet they work when he gets it right. (y) Actually you should hear the racket a pair of hooters off a Micra GX make! :devil:

If im entirely honest i cheated, my mums partner fitted them for me whilst i was at work. The only potential problem i have noticed is that because they are twins they now stick out slightly from each side of the Fiat badge, it doesnt look too bad but its open to the elements a bit. Doing ok so far though.

Yeah air horns are fun but not for me.

Rich

DOH! (n) I bet your mate doesnt put shelves up straight either! :bang: Air horns obviously need to face down :p , didnt he think first? Lmao well I bet they work when he gets it right. (y) Actually you should hear the racket a pair of hooters off a Micra GX make! :devil:

Poor guy....he dont do much right bless him. ooh was annoying when they did work, 8.45am walking into college...driving by me walking holding his horn continuously for a good 30-40 seconds....t*** lol

RichC you are sooo correct about the pathetic horn on the GP.

My Astra had a lovely sound - I'm almost thinking about calling in at my nearest Vauxhall dealer to get one (or reclaimed from an on-line scrap yard) and replacing the GP one.

Years and years and years ago (probably when I was your age) I had twin air horns but I found that there was a slight (but oh so annoying) delay from pressing the horn button and the compressor giving out enough air to make a sound come from the horns. Sometimes you just want a quick 'parp' to warn someone who looks as though they're about to step in front of you. I found that they either got nothing (obvious problem) to a full blown Yankee Doodle Dandee, loud enough to give them a heart attack (obvious problem).

Eventually I just wired the original horn back in parallel so I got the best of both worlds - an instant horn for quick tootles and a deafening blast for those Golf GTi drivers.

Anyway, your post has spurred me on to investigate further....

my engine bay has loadsa free space.

hmmm air horns :yum:

watch this space :cool:

RichC you are sooo correct about the pathetic horn on the GP.

My Astra had a lovely sound - I'm almost thinking about calling in at my nearest Vauxhall dealer to get one (or reclaimed from an on-line scrap yard) and replacing the GP one.

Years and years and years ago (probably when I was your age) I had twin air horns but I found that there was a slight (but oh so annoying) delay from pressing the horn button and the compressor giving out enough air to make a sound come from the horns. Sometimes you just want a quick 'parp' to warn someone who looks as though they're about to step in front of you. I found that they either got nothing (obvious problem) to a full blown Yankee Doodle Dandee, loud enough to give them a heart attack (obvious problem).

Eventually I just wired the original horn back in parallel so I got the best of both worlds - an instant horn for quick tootles and a deafening blast for those Golf GTi drivers.

Anyway, your post has spurred me on to investigate further....

Yeah i thought about this problem myself but we have all always had them because he has always fitted them and we havent had that problem once, maybe you were just unlucky (when i say you i could potentially mean the person you hit when they off the curb without looking, lol).

Good luck with getting it sorted, they definately need doing.

my engine bay has loadsa free space.

hmmm air horns :yum:

watch this space :cool:

There certainly is mate, go for it.

Rich

I had a look where the horn was on my GP and how easy it was going to be to get to it so I could wire in another (via a relay).

Well, it appears the whole of the front of the car needs to come off and then you can get to it, in front of the radiator.

There must be an easier way to tap into the horn wire (I want to leave the original horn fitted anyway), anybody know the answer?

Then I can fit a replacement horn in the engine bay somewhere.

Incidentally the Stebel Nautilus is looking quite good for about £20, as although it is an airhorn it is very compact and INSTANT (says the manufacturer's website) due to its special design - a nod to my previously noted fact that I found a perceptible and annoying delay between pressing the horn button and getting a sound out of air horns I had in a previous car (a Ford Cortina Mk III for those old enough to remember them! Ah those were the days, real Weber carbs, rusty wings and proper leaded petrol!!!).

I had a look where the horn was on my GP and how easy it was going to be to get to it so I could wire in another (via a relay).

Well, it appears the whole of the front of the car needs to come off and then you can get to it, in front of the radiator.

There must be an easier way to tap into the horn wire (I want to leave the original horn fitted anyway), anybody know the answer?

Then I can fit a replacement horn in the engine bay somewhere.

Incidentally the Stebel Nautilus is looking quite good for about £20, as although it is an airhorn it is very compact and INSTANT (says the manufacturer's website) due to its special design - a nod to my previously noted fact that I found a perceptible and annoying delay between pressing the horn button and getting a sound out of air horns I had in a previous car (a Ford Cortina Mk III for those old enough to remember them! Ah those were the days, real Weber carbs, rusty wings and proper leaded petrol!!!).

This certainly is true about the bumper and what not needing to be removed. Ive got an picture message knocking around somewhere that i was sent and the front of my car was missing :eek: , was a little worried to say the least, lol.

Rich

This certainly is true about the bumper and what not needing to be removed. Ive got an picture message knocking around somewhere that i was sent and the front of my car was missing :eek: , was a little worried to say the least, lol.

Rich

i dont get it :confused:

:p

Lol, in order to change the horns you have to pretty much remove the front of the car. You cant get at them any other way. Its not too hard, only about 10 bolts. Still worrying though when you see half of your car on the floor.

Rich

ahhhhhhhh ;)

Back