Technical GP 2006/1.4L gasoline , severe oil leak, but where?

Currently reading:
Technical GP 2006/1.4L gasoline , severe oil leak, but where?

GPman2006

Hi all,

Got a 2006 GP , 1.4 liter engine (type 199/350) and it uses A LOT of engine oil. (about 0,5 liter every 300-500 km), let me give you a run down of what I already tried:

- Head gasket replacement
- Timing belt + waterpump replacement
- Servicebelt replacement
- Thermostat replaced
- head has been machined to flat and valves were replaced, machine shop did a vacuumtest which was good.
- Isolated a small leakage in the valve cover, so I resealed it with a new gasket and loctite fluid gasket
- Compression test , all cylinders between 190-200 PSI
- Wet compression test doesn't change the numbers on the dry compression test
- Suspect is Cyl.2 as the sparkplug when pulled has a good quantity of oil on it. spark plugs of Cyl 1+3+4 are dry and do not show excessive wear, heat or that the gas/air mix is lean or excessive.
- 2nd suspect is oil loss via the valvecover exhaust, visibly the EGR valve is catching oil but not to a quantity to explain the severe loss of oil, air filter and box are clean and dry
- no visible leaks anywhere, no drips, so looks like a 100% burning oil issue
- no blue or black smoke emitting from the exhaust

I sometimes get P0300 or P0302 errors , for the sake of argument I replaced the phaser solenoid. Errors come back , sometimes.
Just to be sure I checked the ingnition coilpack multiple time, and all 4 ports do not measure over 0,6 ohms, which leads me to believe the coilpack is good.
Recommended oiltype is 5W30, since I'm in a warm climate I switched to an oil with more viscosity, currently using 15W40, but doesn't make a difference.

My thoughts:

- Could be an oil pistonring in Cyl 2 , but tests do not confirm
- Could be bad valvestems , but the head was serviced (bad job maybe?)
- Head gasket, maybe sucking oil into the combustion chamber(s) but again tests do not confirm

I can't put my finger on the problem, thusfar the only thing I really am sure about is that I'm burning a lot of oil, I'm not losing it via an exterior leak.
Tests are not helping me to diagnose.

Anyone could point me in the right direction? Would be highly appreciated.

- Compression test , all cylinders between 190-200 PSI
- Wet compression test doesn't change the numbers on the dry compression test
- Suspect is Cyl.2 as the sparkplug when pulled has a good quantity of oil on it. spark plugs of Cyl 1+3+4 are dry and do not show excessive wear, heat or that the gas/air mix is lean or excessive.
- 2nd suspect is oil loss via the valvecover exhaust, visibly the EGR valve is catching oil but not to a quantity to explain the severe loss of oil, air filter and box are clean and dry
- no visible leaks anywhere, no drips, so looks like a 100% burning oil issue
- no blue or black smoke emitting from the exhaust

I sometimes get P0300 or P0302 errors , for the sake of argument I replaced the phaser solenoid. Errors come back , sometimes.
Just to be sure I checked the ingnition coilpack multiple time, and all 4 ports do not measure over 0,6 ohms, which leads me to believe the coilpack is good.
Recommended oiltype is 5W30, since I'm in a warm climate I switched to an oil with more viscosity, currently using 15W40, but doesn't make a difference.

My thoughts:

- Could be an oil pistonring in Cyl 2 , but tests do not confirm
- Could be bad valvestems , but the head was serviced (bad job maybe?)
- Head gasket, maybe sucking oil into the combustion chamber
Hi :)

Who did the headgesket change...were the bores of the cylinders ok?

A minor defect at the base of the stroke will pass oil..but not effect compression figures

I did.
bores were okay.

But if a defect on the stroke , the wet compression test should give higher results right?

1. Bad head-gasket job. Valve guides/seals trashed. Valve clearances off and so on.
2. Piston rings faulty or cylinder bores out of shape.
3. Something is wrong with lubrication system and/or VVT.
4. PCV system ("breather" hoses - there are 2) screwed up somehow.
5. Probably combination of points 1-4. It's an old car (2006)...

PS
Why you people mess with oil? Recommended type is 5W40!
You have some serious mechanical problem - you will not "fix" it by altering oil viscosity.
Clearly, this car was abused/neglected in the past. Now it's too late for easy fix.

I did.
bores were okay.

But if a defect on the stroke , the wet compression test should give higher results right?

If at the bottom of the stroke.. its almost a negative pressure ;)

No great effect on compression figures.. as the seal for the upper 70% is still effective :)

Not a guarantee of your issue.. but could explain it

Other issues would be unlikely to oil just the 1 plug ;)

Back