Govt speed limiters?!

Currently reading:
Govt speed limiters?!

Or in the bin :devil:
Cars aren't the issue or answer, its the drivers and there overall attitude and standard of driving. I would much rather see everyone having to take a test/refresher (not the sweet :p) every 5 or 10 years, that way any bad habits picked up can be addressed / sorted out.

It could be a good penalty option say if you were caught speeding you get 3 points, a fine etc plus a speed restricter fitted for the length of the points imposed - now that sounds better, instead of punishing everyone.

Only problem with that is that the moment they leave the test centre people will go back to talking on mobiles, driving like tards and not paying attention. I personally think stronger penalties like say a one week ban for talking on the phone are the answer.

as Eric Cartman would say:

"suck my ****s Kyle"

that is the stupiest idea ever in the world. just think of roadrage?! people will end up killing eachother.

what would be lots better, safer, and .......well better, is issuing everyone with a road angel plus (or even subsidising it). that tells you and warns you of speed limits in areas.

this silly idea they have is privacy violating as EVERY car will be GPS tracked in real time.

Or in the bin :devil:
Cars aren't the issue or answer, its the drivers and there overall attitude and standard of driving.

Exactly more and more people are blaming technology for complete lack of common sence and then invent technology to protect the stupid people :rolleyes:. I say f**k it let darwins theory prevail, just a shame innoncent people get hurt by the idiots.

or when you need to go faster to avoid a lorry coming up your rear

Wouldn't happen if everyone was limited to the same speed on a certain road. If it did then you would be at fault for going to slow.

It doesn't really prevent many accidents though, most are to due to careless, not speed.

Don't wish to say I told you so; but I told you so. On a thread about bad driving (one of many) last year or early this, i warned people that the technology existed, or at least would in the not too distant future to be able to control the speed of your car remotely. In the US, some General Motors products have a recording device that (every 20 seconds or so) commits to hard disc all the parameters of the car. Speed, engine revs., gear, steering angle, and brake pressure. It was originally designed to avoid dodgy warranty claims where someone had abuse a car then, after breaking it tried to claim. This can be downloaded at the dealers. Not only that, with a combination of Tracker type transponders, GPS and car ECUs it would be relatively easy to have a signal beamed down to changes of speed limits that would cut the revs on any car they chose. Remember, anti-theft technolgy already allows this to happen. The difficulty would arise if you ride something like a Yamaha FJ1200, or anything else with carburretors and no other electronic control. Ooh, that'll be me then. I foresee a sudden jump in the value of Unos, Panda Mk1s and the like.

stupid idea aint it. i hope it dont, but i can see something like that happening in a few years time cos we all know britain is becoming "big brother" in everything.

would be a waste of money. i think if it does happen it will only be installed in new cars. factory fitted i think. hope im wrong though and they wont.

why dont the goverment copy germany? the auto ban.....no stupid speed cameras or stupid speed bumps and there death toll is much lower i heard.

we get everything to slow us down and all it does is 1)waste money 2) dont save lives 3) damages our cars e.g the stupid speed bumps.

next theyl hire spys to follow us around and take off our tyres off and fuel out. cos lets face it they just dont want no more cars on the road. so itl get to the point that theyl do anything and everything to stop cars on the road.stupid...

Oddly enough, it might be the Germans who could save us. My Grandmother will be turning in her grave at the very thought. The last time this reared its ugly head, oh yes, this is nothing new, it came up in the European Parliament and it seemed that there was something in the German constitution (or somewhere) that said only the driver could control the car. But then, hey, if Constitutions can be written, they can be re-written

to be honest, if this were to be introduced to new cars only it would kill alot of new car trade. Also it would take ages to retrofit all the vehicles and how would you accommodate for track day cars and so on?

way to complex and only realistically doable as a fleet option or on a voluntary basis (as was proposed this time wasn't it?)

Speaking of voluntary, I can't think of anyone who would volunteer, not even my 60 y/o grandparents!

to be honest, if this were to be introduced to new cars only it would kill alot of new car trade. Also it would take ages to retrofit all the vehicles and how would you accommodate for track day cars and so on?

way to complex and only realistically doable as a fleet option or on a voluntary basis (as was proposed this time wasn't it?)

Speaking of voluntary, I can't think of anyone who would volunteer, not even my 60 y/o grandparents!

i would if it knocked alot of my insurance
lets say 40% or 1k whcih evers lowest

agree saab
just saying what it would take for me to have one

on another slant
my brother says (him with no licence)
that you can get breath testers what lower your insurance
surley if you drink drive your insurance is void

i know in america they have them attached to some cars

agree saab
just saying what it would take for me to have one

on another slant
my brother says (him with no licence)
that you can get breath testers what lower your insurance
surley if you drink drive your insurance is void

i know in america they have them attached to some cars

a few countries use them for repeat drink drive offenders, the issue is if you say 'i have an in car camera' etc they try and put the price up for extra contents. Some US insurance companies reportedly lower premiums if you have a camera-phone or keep a camera in your car.

Tracks would jsut be programmed into the GPS so that it knew it was at a track and could disable itself. Its what the Datsun GT-R does.

Also even if the technology is there i dont think it will happen( not too soon anyway) I think it would be one step too far for the government to get away with and there would be too many people opposing it. Its also dangerous imo aswell.

Last edited:
This is simpler than you think. It would start with new cars and probably just work on a form of natural wastage. If your car has an ECU and EFI, fitting a receiver on the production line would be a doddle. First, in about 1966 it became law to fit seat belts in the front. Then later still it became law to wear them where fitted. Then it was the same with rear belts. Apart from classics which come out on high days and holidays, how many cars are there on the road that don't have any seatbelts fitted? Even within 10 years there weren't many cars on the road without front belts because cars generally don't last longer than 10 years or so. If you think that's unlikely, put up a poll and ask the age of members' cars on here. I bet the average is comfortably below 10 years. Of those cars less than 10 years old you could include most Bravo/Brava/Mareas, all Mk2 Puntos, all New Pandas, all new 500s and all new
Bravos.

Im not disagreeing it wouldnt be simple for them to do it i jsut think it would be one step too far for the government to go. I dont think you can compare it to making seatbelts compulsory as they are completely different things.

Im not disagreeing it wouldnt be simple for them to do it i jsut think it would be one step too far for the government to go. I dont think you can compare it to making seatbelts compulsory as they are completely different things.
Listen Bud, make no mistake about it, I firmly believe that motor vehicles should, at all times be under sole control of the driver. I would not be in favour of fitting these devices at all. Part of what we are is how we behave. If you take this responsibility from us, what are you going to take from us next? What about our behaviour when we're on a night out in town? Over the years I've had enough of drunks throwing up on me. I've had enough of rolling about on the ground trying to lock someone up because he can't avoid a fight or feels a compulsion to hit his girlfriend, or put a bottle through someone's window. But how and if they control themselves is important and I happen to think there's more at stake here than simply speed limiters. It's about the personal responsibilities we are expected to display. If we can't control our cars, then maybe we can't control our children and the Government can take that away from us as well. Ooh, I've come over all Orwellian. Think I'd better lie down in a darkened room. I'm going to be Julius Ceaser tomorrow you know; and the next day I'll be Napolean, and on Wednesday I'm............drifts into a drooling ramble as the sedatives start to take effect..........................................................................

Last edited:
guy, you herad of the norwich union young drivers scheme?

well google it. they install GPS 'black boxes' into cars and track WHEN it moves

Back