Technical Glow plugs/relay

Currently reading:
Technical Glow plugs/relay

HenrikD

Hello .

Still working on my Evo.

I have a fault with the glow plug on the cyninder no 3, but when I measure the wires there is no 12 v, on neither of the wire not even when I measure on the relay.
New relay? Are there other ways to test it?

If you are getting voltage at the other heater plugs when testing the same way I would test the wiring to that plug.
As a basic test of a heater plug in situ, I use a multimeter on Ohms setting between the top of the heater plug with lead disconnected and earth on the engine for continuity.
However if no voltage at terminal, then test wiring.:)

If you are getting voltage at the other heater plugs when testing the same way I would test the wiring to that plug.
As a basic test of a heater plug in situ, I use a multimeter on Ohms setting between the top of the heater plug with lead disconnected and earth on the engine for continuity.
However if no voltage at terminal, then test wiring.:)
I only get a fiew V, on all 4 plugs,2-4V I think it is the relay, taht i shot, have messured directley on the pins to the wireing til the plugs.

Does sound like the relay if only under 4 volts. Not sure about the 8 Ohms as an exact reading, I have generally found if I have continuity through a heater plug then they usually work.
I see the Fiat ones are marked 11volts so hopefully safe to test at battery voltage for a few seconds to see if heat up.
Many years ago I tested a set of Bedford Midi van heater plugs like that without inspecting them closely, they all worked once and died, entirely my fault so I replaced them at my expense, it turned out they used 5 volt ones,. Duh!:(

Does sound like the relay if only under 4 volts. Not sure about the 8 Ohms as an exact reading, I have generally found if I have continuity through a heater plug then they usually work.
I see the Fiat ones are marked 11volts so hopefully safe to test at battery voltage for a few seconds to see if heat up.
Many years ago I tested a set of Bedford Midi van heater plugs like that without inspecting them closely, they all worked once and died, entirely my fault so I replaced them at my expense, it turned out they used 5 volt ones,. Duh!:(
The exact ohm could be wrong, but fits that mec shows error code at that glow plug.

Is there a way to test the relay?
Sould be 12v at watch pin, right?

Back