Glossary

Currently reading:
Glossary

Alex

Now hacking in PHP
How about a context sensitive glossary, which underlines words (like arb, and carb, etc...) with some help text like a description or the unabbreviated meaning (so for arb - Anti Roll Bar - Suspention Component) when you hover your mouse over it.

H2DaE

Resident Hairdresser
Sounds good to me, although maybe there could be an option in User CP to turn it off, as I could see it pissing some people off

This idea gets "Two thumbs up" from me (y) (y)

madmax

hey Im new to this. I like the idea too. i can see why some people might get annoyed with it tho.

ben

The Boss
Staff member
Installed - but I don't know what words you want done... post ideas below, currently just FIAT done :D - and before people complain it looks dodgy, I know - I've already requested a feature where the box is only as wide as the text - so expect that soon.

(You can do just words to popup words, or words which popup to a link - so a link to Wiki or something...)

Oh and to disable it, go into the control panel > options (it's at the bottom)

ben

The Boss
Staff member
Yeah, I've added one or two since (such as ePER ;)). I'll then create a "Glossary Page" which basically just lists all of them alphabetically....

So come on people, get those words rolling in :)

Hellcat

zombie nation
JTD - Jetronic Turbo Diesel?
MAF - Mass Air Flow?
ECU - Electronic Control /unit?
Gallery - NOT PHOTOTEACUP :D

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Now hacking in PHP
HG - Head Gasket
ARB - Anti-roll bar
CC - Cubic Centemeters

OP
OP
Alex

Alex

Now hacking in PHP
I don't know if it may even be a good idea to enter stuff like cam and sump, a cam being an offcentered doo-dar and a sump being that thing where all the oil lives :)

Oh another acronym - ECU - Electronic Control Unit (NOT ENGINE control unit) - EDIT <- that looks like I may have been having a dig at helcat, who also put the same thing, and was also correct

ben

The Boss
Staff member
Hmm... Wiki disagrees with you on the ECU front there... whilst there are a number of Electronic CU's in the car, it refers to the main one we all know as the Engine Control Unit....

ben

The Boss
Staff member
Ok added those (what I could find) - do you think it's worth putting in descriptive text, or just filling in the acronyms and linking to Wiki?