Technical Getting the bad gas out of my 1980 spider 2000

Currently reading:
Technical Getting the bad gas out of my 1980 spider 2000

Rlbow43

I'd like to "hot wire" the fuel pump to empty the old gas out of my spider, but I don't know which terminal on the pump is the hot (positive) terminal. Any suggestions for figuring out which terminal is the positive terminal would be appreciated. There's not much gas in the tank, but it's years old. I've disconnected the fuel line from the fuel filter to the metal line that goes forward into the engine bay. I could crank the engine so the pump works, but I'd rather not do that. Seems like hot wiring the pump should be easy but not sure what would happen if I wired it backwards. Don't want to have to buy a pump. Thanks

According to a wiring diagram I consulted, the hot (positive) feed to the fuel pump should be colored light blue with a black tracer/stripe. The ground wire is colored black and, if followed, should be connected to a body ground close to the pump. The Coupe version also had a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank, but idk if the Spider had a drain plug.

Thanks. I took a pic and it looks like one wire is white with a black stripe and the other is a solid blue. Both wires are in a sheath that goes thru the floor under the back seat. I was hoping that the ground was under a screw near the pump. If there is a drain plug, I didn't see it. I'll look again in the morning.

Back